586,732 active members*
3,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal Broken head casting
Page 1 of 2 12

Exclamation Fadal Broken head casting

Hi Everybody

I've been mainly just reading posts but visit frequently, I just bought a 3016 ( a couple weeks ago) finally powered it up and noticed the the Z axis had bang when I moved it up and down, An inspection revealed that the Z ball screw nut was lose from the head casting, looking closer I realized the head casting is broken and theres only 2 screws holding the ball screw nut and not 4. I took the Z screw and mount of the machine and no doubt its broken. :boxing: So now I have no idea what I'm going to do, Has any body ever changed a head before and were would I even star looking for 1?

Thank you

Roland AbrahamsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5327.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	306660

Re: Fadal Broken head casting

Quote Originally Posted by Fadal3016FX View Post
    Hi Everybody

I've been mainly just reading posts but visit frequently, I just bought a 3016 ( a couple weeks ago) finally powered it up and noticed the the Z axis had bang when I moved it up and down, An inspection revealed that the Z ball screw nut was lose from the head casting, looking closer I realized the head casting is broken and theres only 2 screws holding the ball screw nut and not 4. I took the Z screw and mount of the machine and no doubt its broken. :boxing: So now I have no idea what I'm going to do, Has any body ever changed a head before and were would I even star looking for 1?

Thank you

Roland AbrahamsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5327.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	306660
    Roland,

Maybe Dave de Caussin can point you in the right direction, his father is one of the original Fadal founders.

http://nxgencnc.com

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Oh Man... Sorry to hear of this problem. In my experience of FADAL machines i have never heard of this. Never.

Being a machinist my instinct is to repair. But that does not look easy without a forklift and a full service shop.

I am very sorry to say I can't offer you any other help than good luck. I have a 20 16 and if I can get you pics or anything to help let me know via PM.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Roland,

Maybe Dave de Caussin can point you in the right direction, his father is one of the original Fadal founders.

NXGEN CNC Control | Introducing the Next Generation CNC

Jeff...

Hi Jeff,

Thank you, I'm going to stay stead fast with,

"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."

That's wonderful insight!

Roland

Hi Warren,

Its one that nobody's seen, A local Fadal Tech looked at the photo and said the same thing, He's been servicing them for 20 years. He's been looking for a new head casting from his supplier's.
    I have it all apart now and the turcite looks in good shape I will post some photo's.

Thank You
    Roland

Fadal 3016 may have only had 1 revision since it was sold from 1992-2007. From inch (1992-1993) to metric (1994-2007). You may be able to source another head off a dead 3016 or maybe even a 2216, or VMC 40. Youll need to talk to a factory buy from the old days. Give a call to M&J technologies in California. The owner was a Fadal factory guy and would know what head you can replace it with. That break is not common but can happen. I believe we have one that broke in 1996 and we still use it every day since (3016).
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Also who did you buy it from and how did they treat you afterwards? Was it an auction buy or from a dealer?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    Also who did you buy it from and how did they treat you afterwards? Was it an auction buy or from a dealer?
    I bought if from, Marty Murphy,
    Aero Tech Tool & Mold Inc.Mentor, Ohio,

After he had the money he wasn't the same as when he was convincing me to buy it and that it was in good shape and had not been used in 5-6 years. It just must of slipped his mind about the Z axis being SMASHED and BROKEN, and he left a repair order in EC, it seems from what the tech wrote it was broken already and he tightened it again, also said the Z cooler seals were leaking. Bent ball screw maybe, it seems like they replace the Z ball screw.
    Never the less, I have it all apart and I have an idea that I think will be a permanent fix, Luckily the turcite is nice

I have some photos that I'm adding mainly because, They maybe of interest to someone else who maybe looking for a reference for assembly etc.Attachment 307178Attachment 307180Attachment 307182Attachment 307184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5365 (Large).JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	307186

Piece of cake to fix that . Machine teh casting flat like teh Mains in a SB chevy. Then install a piece of 1018 steel the same width as teh original casting. Bolt and cross bolt it in like a chevy 4 bolt main cap. Remachine the flange and you are done.

Just a thought,(;-) TP

Hi, a lot depends on your ability and availability of equipment..........if you have another mill then it's a straightforward machining operation to mill the broken face flat and fit a half bearing type cap......as Vmax said.

'However"........if you have resort to manual fitting methods, just use an angle grinder and/or files to render the broken housing faces flat and make a corresponding steel half section to bolt on as before.........it'll take some fitting skill to get the housing good enough to hold the ball nut housing, but it can be done.

I have an old 1930 Colchester Bantam lathe and the rear bearing housing is just a bored out hole in the casting with a split in the side to retain the split bronze bearing....long story short.......the housing broke off across the back, so I did as I suggested......filed the bottom half flat and made a new top half from steel.......but the difference was I used socket head cap screws on both sides to pull the new top cap down onto the bottom face and grip the bronze bearing.

In your case the forces are all axial, so if/when you fit a new steel half cap you'll need to have a keyway across the face or two steel dowels to prevent the ball nut housing from moving up and down under load.

The new steel half housing needs to be bored out to the same diam as the ball nut body diam and then split so that you get a full diam when the steel housing is bolted against the head casting........careful fitting is the answer here, but you MUST prevent the new steel half housing from moving up and down when it's bolted to the head, and the top face where the ball nut flange bolts onto must be square to the bore too.
    Ian.

Hi

Thank you for your idea's, As of the moment I only have that one machine. When winters over I'm going to buy a bridgeport mill, ( I need one anyways), I just have to wait a couple months. Surprisingly there really wasn't that much to taking it apart, A fadal tech made it sound like, Oh boy good luck with that, the hardest part was figuring out how lift the heavy stuff. (motor and head casting).

Roland

Ran into this today while looking for other stuff...
    Dont know that it would be of any help to you - but thought I would pass it along.

Fadal VMC's for retrofit!

I have no idea if the VMC15 has a similar head or not - but thought of your post the instant I saw that listing.

Wade

I would simply find someone to send it to and get it done. That way you can get it back online and slinging chips. It looks like something one would do on a horizonal machine, the finish part that is . The ways appear in very good shape and you never know what a donor part may end up looking like. The ways COULD be very bad shape.

The repair is realtively simple for an experienced machinst.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

(;-) TP

There is a reason that mount is an integral part of the head casting. It is not designed to have bolts going to a mild steel support. The amount of torque is too high. Also nothing about that machine makes it an FX version.

I see its on ebay along with 2 other dirtbag dealers trying to pawn off 104D control fadals to unsuspecting customers. They will sell anything

I guess an 800 hp SBC does not have enough torque on the maincaps (;-). A properly keyed and bolted cap will hold more torque than those motors will EVER produce .

(;-) TP

Agree 100% with TP.
    Machine tools are very low stress, typically only 2-5% of "strength".

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    I guess an 800 hp SBC does not have enough torque on the maincaps (;-). A properly keyed and bolted cap will hold more torque than those motors will EVER produce .

(;-) TP

Sure it can but that doesn't mean the casting was designed to be bolted through bringing the torque now to a different place in the casting and even a weaker spot from the drilled and tapped holes. SBC is a standard V8 and has 5 main caps all larger diameter than a fadal 3016 ball nut and the torque is directly against the length of the bolt. You can keyway, drill and tap and take the advice of someone online. Or you can do it right and replace the casting.

I guess that those machines that DO have a 2 piece ball screw mount have it all wrong then (;-) . There can be a lot of problems and labor involved in properly refitting a new/used table. It will have to be fitted, scrapped into correct alignment that is IF you can even find a new or " good " used table. And IF the slide surface has to be be reconditioned IS the feedscrew going to be in perfect alignment ?? It it NEVER a simple drop in replacement to replace a precision table component.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Page 1 of 2 12