Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
You aren't comparing the correct machines. Charter Oak sells unconverted manual machines as well as full CNC machines. Their CNC maschine does not have a gearbox and has a 3 hp VFD controlled spindle 60-3800 RPM. The 6 speed gearbox is for the unconverted manual machine. You can also get a dual speed belt drive for the manual machine that takes RPM up to 5400 and eliminates the gearbox. Doesn't show as an option for the CNC mill, but I don't see why it couldn't be put on. I'd ask about that.

As for drawbar force, they are talking about a totally different tooling system and the 600 pounds is the retention by that tooling system. Comparing it to the TTS system is not an apples to apples comparison. Their system uses a full R8 shank retained by a pull stud type system, You don't need as much pull to retain that when compared to retaining a smooth shank in a collet like the TTS system. In short, comparing this to TTS is just not the same.

Also I just realized novakon uses linear rails on the Z axis
Is this a bad thing because of the large milling head they use? Does anyone know how the rails compare to the normal V-ways? Has any one seen or used both the charter oak and the novakon? Thoughts?
TIA