586,822 active members*
3,246 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport Series 1 2J High Gear died with smoldering smell.

Bridgeport Series 1 2J High Gear died with smoldering smell.

I got my Bridgeport series 1 2J head CNC running today and finally got to do some test runs, then after a while I started to smell a slight odor and a minute later the motor turned off as if I had flipped the switch. It was running fine for 20 minutes, and then just turned off. It still runs in low gear as it did before. I couldn't find any visible wire melting but it seemed to smell most in the back panel. Could it be the Springer Relay? The panel area is fairly clean and had a fan blowing over it. Additionally, the motor sounds pretty loud and clunky when it runs, it is a 2HP, but it still runs fine on the low speed. When I look into the programs I see only 3 from 2012 and then they date back to 2006 and 2002, making me think that this machine was infrequently used. Any ideas?

Re: Bridgeport Series 1 2J High Gear died with smoldering smell.

Just wanted to add some new thoughts and findings. I remember when I was wiring the main power that if the motor turned in reverse then I just needed to swap any 2 of the lines in. L1 & L2 for instance. With this being said, and knowing that the motor still works in one direction, I suppose I could just switch the leads and have High speed only instead of Low speed only in the correct direction. This would also mean that the problem has nothing to do with the motor itself and that it is most likely related to the relay panel. I thought that relays usually went bad during startup, but I suppose they could fail at any time. Please chime in if any of this logic is not sound or you have any better knowledge.

Re: Bridgeport Series 1 2J High Gear died with smoldering smell.

I think I found the problem to be one of the springer JC09 relays. If I try to manually engage the relay (while the power is off) it wont budge while the other relay moves freely. I purchased a new relay and will repost how the install goes.