586,961 active members*
2,694 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Need feedback on design.

I had originally posted this at the end of my previous thread but it got only one response - thanks HuFlungDung. I really do need some feedback on this before I start making parts. The ballscrews and linear guides are ordered but I don't want to make a fundamental mistake if my thoughts are invalid.

Previous thread: www.cnczone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2849 Last post.

After a little pondering and taking in suggestions from this forum, I have had a re-think and come up with the following which addresses some of the problems associated with my first idea.

As this machine is for a school workshop I want it to be as versatile as possible and not wanting to be limited by what could be placed under the machine I decided to hang the whole thing off the wall. This enables me to remove the table, if necessary, and maybe drive a car under for some decorative bonnet engraving Seriously, it does enable large items to be put under the machine if required and a vast array of sizes.

The sacrificial table top can simply be dressed with a flycutter when necessary.

Total travel in X (into the drawing) is 2000mm; travel in Y is approx 500mm; and Z 150mm, with the table adjustment being down to the floor.

Support for the Y axis cantilever is triangulated in both the X and Z direction.

Any thoughts please.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails general arrangement 2.jpg