586,465 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need feedback on design.

I had originally posted this at the end of my previous thread but it got only one response - thanks HuFlungDung. I really do need some feedback on this before I start making parts. The ballscrews and linear guides are ordered but I don't want to make a fundamental mistake if my thoughts are invalid.

Previous thread: www.cnczone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2849 Last post.

After a little pondering and taking in suggestions from this forum, I have had a re-think and come up with the following which addresses some of the problems associated with my first idea.

As this machine is for a school workshop I want it to be as versatile as possible and not wanting to be limited by what could be placed under the machine I decided to hang the whole thing off the wall. This enables me to remove the table, if necessary, and maybe drive a car under for some decorative bonnet engraving Seriously, it does enable large items to be put under the machine if required and a vast array of sizes.

The sacrificial table top can simply be dressed with a flycutter when necessary.

Total travel in X (into the drawing) is 2000mm; travel in Y is approx 500mm; and Z 150mm, with the table adjustment being down to the floor.

Support for the Y axis cantilever is triangulated in both the X and Z direction.

Any thoughts please.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails general arrangement 2.jpg  

I think the CNC device mounted to a wall will work well. You may have some setup issues with getting the rails straight and in line. Most walls vary in and out.

I would add something to the table for positioning and locking to the wall. That way if you move the table out of the way, you can get it back in the same spot.

If your table isn't heavy enough, your router might move the part and the table since they are seperate. Locking this in will solve that issue.

It will be vital to use the machine to skim cut the top of the table for squareness.

If you are cutting parts all the way around, you should be OK. But if you want to position a precut blank against stops and only do some interior machining, you may have registration problems. Again this is caused by the table not being fastened to the CNC.

I'd say go for it!!!
    T

Buscht,
    Thanks for that. It may well be that I will fabricate a substantial, steel subframe that will be mounted on the wall to hold the rails. That way, if for any reason it has to be dismantled, at least the rails will not be disturbed.

Point taken and well made concerning the indexing with a moveable table. Locks should not pose too much of a problem.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Mike

Mike,

You don't show the depth of the machine in your drawing. Have you thought of the forces on your X axis trolly when the cutter is out at the end of the Y axis?
    I wouldn't think it would be a problem if the trolly is long enough and the Y axis is braced firmly enough to it.
    Looks like a good design. Good luck!

Chris

Mike - you'll have to no doubt deal with all that cable and wire-junk too. Could use an overhead swing arm or something to keep the extra out of the way? However its done you'd want to not put any undue loads on the system.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Chris,

If you're talking about the depth of machine as in the Y axis, it is intended to have 500mm of travel, giving somewhere in the region of 600m overall length of gantry. This is not too dissimilar to many of the gantries of other homebuilts found on this forum. OK, I am hanging mine off a wall, making the forces on the X rails rather different but there should be no less rigidity. The total travel on the X axis will be 2000mm and the trolley, carrying the Y axis, will be as long as possible to aid rigidity in Y.

I shall post some 3D pictures of the proposed gantry design as soon as I can for comment. One big advantage is that I can mount the Y axis motor (servo/stepper?) right next to the X rails therfore reducing the moment around the bottom X rail considerably.

Jim,

THK claim their rails will take nearly ten times the proposed loads so I am hoping there will not be a problem there - should be able to sit on the Y axis and go for a ride

Not even thought about cabling yet but I can see it is an issue that needs addressing.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I was talking about the forces exerted in the X + - direction when you are cutting. The fact that your Y axis is attached on one end will turn it into a lever and your X axis will be the fulcrum. The longer the lever arm the higher the force.
    All I meant to say was that the X axis trolly needs to be long enough in the X + - direction to resist those forces. That will transfer all that force to your linear bearings and ultimately to the attachments on the wall.

Chris

I appreciate it's difficult to say without all dimensions, speeds, forces etc., but in your experience will spacing the X axis blocks 300mm apart be in the ball park?

I am almost ready to post some CAD drawing of proposed Y axis arm. Please pass judgement when I get them on.

Cheers,

Mike

Could I see the motor positions and mounts? I think the distances required might be a problem.

As promised, a CAD drawing of the proposed Y axis. I have not yet got round to putting in the X axis drive or the sub-frame that holds the whole thing on the wall.

You can just make out where the Y axis motor is situated. Being able to put it here takes a considerable load off the X axis rails.

Comments please.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gantry 2d.jpg  

Another image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gantry assembly 2.jpg  

and another.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gantry assembly.jpg  

What will it be made of?

E
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

I like your design. It looks like it will be pretty handy for just about anything. One suggestion, is to keep the upper bearing on the x axis same distance apart as the lower ones, this will help with twisting forces of gantry. what is the spacing between bearings on the x axis? The more you can allow will be better.

another thing may be stating the obvious, you will want to favor cutting items closer to the wall, if there is any amount of movement present in the slides, it will increase further away from the wall. I realize these slides are very good, but down the road when the machine is well used then it may become a problem.

Lookin' cooler all the time! From a long term maintainence point of view - what if the motor was on the "outer" end of the Y axis? Replace or repair/upgrade would be easier - still gonna have to deal with all that wire though - eh?
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Balsaman,

Intention is to make it out of 10mm aluminium plate, welded or bolted together. One of the original thoughts was to use aluminium extrusion throughout but it would probably end up more expensive and less rigid.

As stated previously, there will probably be a sturdy, 80 x 40 steel box section, sub frame bolted to the wall onto which the rails will be attached.

Mike

Jimbo,

Bearing blocks are 300mm apart on the bottom rail, 150mm on the top. My thinking behind the narrower top was twofold, one to reduce some of the mass of the gantry and, two as most of the mass was low down, I figured there would be less need for similar spacing at the top. If someone can do the heavy maths then please correct me.

Judging by the machines made here, I reckoned that 300mm was pretty generous for a 600mm gantry.

I take your point about the accuracy nearer the wall. Maybe I will make the origin at the North East of the table. This goes against my instincts as a teacher because pupils, when doing Maths, Geography etc. are taught that the origin is at the bottom left. Maybe I'll install a mirror

Mike

Jim,

Placing of the motor close to the wall is deliberate to reduce the load on the X axis rails. A beefy servo motor has considerable mass and sticking it on the outer end, while making it more accessible, would also increase the moment around the X rails enormously. I will have access at the end of the machine as it is going on a very large wall so I hope accessibility will not be too much of an issue. Good point though, must make note.

I get the impression that you've had problems with routing cables!! I am hoping there will be no more problems than with conventional, gantry machines.

Mike

Naw - its just they get SOOOO in the way of a pretty design! Although they can get in the way of action - had one flop in the way and was mildy annoying - but no worries! On the 80/20 I'm using, I now run the wiring through the galleys on the Aly extrusions. Much neater - and it "fills" a space that the dust and bits won't catch in!
    Certainly understand the increase in moment too. I intentionally chose to put both my x and y axis motors on the (back) wall-side too. They overhang a space that I couldn't use anyway. But I can move the system as its not fixed to the wall! Just kibitzing!