586,920 active members*
2,718 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Hypermill > hyperMILL millTurn module

Hybrid View

hyperMILL millTurn module

Look for this in Q2. It was demonstrated at Euromold show in December.

It will be integrated with hyperMILL stock model management, joblist cycle browser, as well as postprocessor and simulation tools.

The intention is mill-turn more than straight turn.

Will this be interesting for the customer base?

I am interested, can you tell us more about it? Does it do some straight turning?

Here is what we have so far. See excerpt from press release on mcadcafe.com.

Premiere: hyperMILL millTURN

The first version of the mill/turn module will offer the following machining strategies: turn roughing, turn finishing, facing, groove roughing, groove finishing, threading, centre drilling and centre threading. The ‘turn roughing' cycle refers to the roughing of any turning stock. Likewise, turn finishing is always applied to the current stock. In general, it is possible to narrow down machining areas very exactly by using boundaries. Thanks to its seamless integration into hyperMILL, stock tracking, the tool database and collision control can all be employed together with all turning and milling operations. They are output by a postprocessor in an NC program.

But the question is ... can I perform straight turning? The party line is "mill-turn". To keep the focus on mill-turn, the module will be sold as an option atop the milling module.

Once you have all of these cycles available, can you select only turning cycles for a given job?? I don't think that there will be any limitation against this. This may then come to be a matter of PP.

Yes, I think you are right, the PP is going to be focused on the big Mori Seiki type mill turn machines. My old 1993 Mori Seiki Fanuc lathe will not be able to use CAM output unless it is caned-cycle optimized for the very small amount of memory my machine has.

I take it that stock model management is going to grow into more of the job types? Will it be in all of them?

Straight lathe PP

Let me get some input from the development side. Clearly the use of canned cycles will be a necessary ingredient to keep file sizes small.