586,127 active members*
3,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport EZ-TRAK

Hello...I have a circa 1988 bridgeport EZ-trak 2 axis knee mill. Has any had any sucess linking this older control to any cad/cam softwares out there. As it is now i cannot even save programs. Was trying trial version of Multi-DNC software but could not get the control to communicate with the PC. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

what cable are you using on your multi
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

bridgeport ez-trak

I tried both a null modem and staight thru 25 to 9 pin cable. Does anyone know if the EZ-TRAK RS232 port is custom for machine?

on the pc side try your 9 pin wiring 2,3 & 7 on the machine side 2 & 3 then jump 4 & 5 then 7 then jump 6 & 8 then jump from 8 to 20 that is for fanuc and i think the EZ is the same
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

dont jump 4,5 &7 on the machine side 3,2,& 7 are single sorry just want to be clear

bridgeport ez-trak

Thanks Jackson...Our computer guru is going to make up a cable. I'll let you know how we make out.

good deal

Geno;
    Do you by chance have any documentation on the installation of the motor mounts and the z-axis drive for the EZ track. I purchased the mechanical system only for installation on my bridgeport and cannot locate any pictures or documentation of the installation. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thx.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Brideport EZ-TRAK

Bill, The EZ-Trak I'm using is only a 2 Axis machine. The Z has a glass scale but is strictly manual.

Hey Geno,
    have you got your EZ track going yet

Geno,

Follow this thread. I have the same control as you, but I didn't know these were made before 1990.

Older LED Display EZ-Trak RS-232 communications

Mine works great with this setup.

DC

Brideport EZ-Trak

Hey DC (or others) would you mind sharing exactly what your set up is? I'm trying to get the basic EZ-Trak to communicate with a software called multi-DNC. We're still at the trial period stage and can use something else if necessary.

Geno,

These older controls will not DNC at all. You can transfer small programs via EZ-Link, but that is about it. I have had to break larger programs into sub-sections. I think the limit was 100 lines, but I cannot recall off hand.

As per the previous thread link is my exact setup. The cable schematic as posted there can be mocked up with soldered connectors and housing shells. The EZ-Link terminal program I use makes the PC a basic server so all transfer(send/receive) is done at the machine control. The format of the program is critical otherwise the control will display "No Link". The program name must be named, called or sent as a number otherwise "No Link". Writing programs on the control and sending them to the PC will produce the proper format to reload them to the control. Post processed programs via a cam system must use the proper format and language syntax also or "No Link" will result. Same conditions apply for buad rate, parity and stop bits.

Unfortunatley, we are forced to adapt to these contraints to make it communicate.

DC

bridgeport ez-trak

Thank you DC. I'll can hope to do to improvew this control is store programs...which is more than I can do now. No point in beating a dead horse...right...HaHa

The 1988 version control was made by Southwestern. The newer versions go under the name of PROTO TRAK. It did do RS232 but did not DNC.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Brideport EZ-Trak

Thats right the control is a Soutrhwestern and it will not DNC. But with information from this group I was able to get the pin out info and the EZ-FILE software. I now can at least save programs.