586,892 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Linear slide is one good enough?

Found this ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=42899

Do you guys think that just this one would work for the z axis or do you need two slides per axis?

I think it would work fine. THK already have great strength, and that size should be a great platform. Course this is just my opinion, perhaps someone will chime in who has used something this size before.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well, I just bought it... Hope it works.

Well spoke too soon... some one out bid me at the last second. Too bad...

think that just this one would work for the z axis

I am with Hobbiest, I have frequently wondered why not my self especially for non-commercial use.

THK is precision stuff with zero play.

Sorry you were outbid, been there done that

Hi,

That would have been a good Z slide, I think the THK W series was designed to be used alone, or at least with just one rail. There is a service called Auction Sniper that you might want to try on eBay. http://www.auctionsniper.com It allows you to put in your highest bid, and how many seconds before the end of the auction you want to make the bid, then it bids for you right near the end of the auction. When I tried it, they gave me 6 free uses. If you try it, tell them steveage2 referred you and I'll get another free use Good luck next time.

Steve

Nice looking slide - but might be a little short in the "throw" even for the zaxis. Remember you "give up" a portion of the length to the slide itself, so the net effective length is only the movement or just over 2 inches on that item. Same is true for x and y axis but there you "give up" even more to the gantry, router/spindle, etc.
    The thing I figured out (too late) was to try and standardize or get all the same model rail and slides, ie THK20xx, etc. That way I can join the rails to make a longer rail. Also, I could just get a pair of rails that has 1 slide per rail. You might find those rail sets with only 1 slide go for less than those with multiple slides. UH-OH let a little secret out
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.