586,655 active members*
2,042 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

I see Flames ....

Running tests today on my 100w laser. After creating about 10 Tests at different Heights I pressed Start and Nothing Happened, except out of the corner of my eye I saw Flames around the Positive end of the Laser Tube. was just for a split second, I checked over everything and next attempt was back to normal, about 5 more tests it happened again. Only thing I did was remove the Lens, Clean it, Put it back and that's the only change. Maybe I put the Lens upside down? The Curve Side, Upwards or Downwards towards the material?

Re: I see Flames ....

Ok back from holidays and was hoping someone may have thought of a reason by now why all of a sudden my RECI 100w tube is sparking. I turned it on after the 3 week break and as soon as power got to the tube there was a loud Spark sound which was again visible at the positive end of the tube. I don't want to turn it on again now until I solve the reason I case I blow the whole tube up. Any Ideas??

Ok did some searching but all I could find was that Sparking at the Positive End of the Laser Tube means it's time to replace the tube? WTF? It's done less then 20min while I adjust the mirrors and lens to get the tube to cut through 3mm. Really hoping there is another reason

hi there
    it sounds like you got a insulation issue, put some silicone realy thick around the connector sand see if this helps.
    greetings waltfl

Quote Originally Posted by KenR60 View Post
    Ok did some searching but all I could find was that Sparking at the Positive End of the Laser Tube means it's time to replace the tube? WTF? It's done less then 20min while I adjust the mirrors and lens to get the tube to cut through 3mm. Really hoping there is another reason

To facilitate our help, put a picture and identify where there is that spark ...

Here is the end that is Sparking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	307032

Its not a spark, its an arc. The wiring is not insulated enough. You should run the wiring for the laser through a silicone tube and then seal it with something like high voltage splicing tape. Right now the power has an easier path to get to the metal machine frame through the air than it does to go through the laser. If you make it impossible to arc by sealing it really well, it should be OK.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Clean the area extremely well, as the previous arcing leaves carbon deposits that help conduct future arcs, as in under the tape.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Have added Silicone Tube to the last 120mm of exposed Wire ( Positive ) The Arc'ing seems to be going downwards rather then sideward a or upwards so would squirting a good sized ball of Silicone underneath help?

I took a video of the ark when I press the Pulse button.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EaSBOYP_yz4

Have you removed the cover and carefully checked the tube for any cracks?

Its hard to see in the video what is what without some light facing the tube.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

And what do mean exposed wire? Nothing should be exposed.

Hello gfacer2, I haven't checked the tube for cracks because it's so new. I will have a look and still check. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer2 View Post
    And what do mean exposed wire? Nothing should be exposed.
    I meant the lug? Should I smear a good lot of silicone over where the screw and lug are? Considering this tube has less then 20min use, I wonder if the reason I haven't been able to cut through 3mm ( except once but duplicating the settings doesn't work ( cut ) anymore ) if there maybe a tube fault? Funny how it worked then this began.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Ken this is an arch as other have said. Question is this a home made laser? Bizarre to see plexiglass over the tube instead of a metal casing.

Have you fully insulated everything as other suggested?

No exposed metal anywhere... Silicone, first. Then tube then wrap. If your wires are exposed then that's likely it. Not sure if that is your cutting issue. But fix this problem first, then work on the cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithOKC View Post
    Ken this is an arch as other have said. Question is this a home made laser? Bizarre to see plexiglass over the tube instead of a metal casing.

Have you fully insulated everything as other suggested?
    Hey Keith, it's a RedSail Laser with an RECI 100w tube ( which is suppose to go to a max. of 130w but as I said to the manufacturer, if I am at 80% is that 80% of the 100w or 130w, Very Strange stating a 100w - 130w but that's another story )

In the below photo you will see the additional Addon RedSail do to turn an 80w Laser into accepting a longer 100w tube, add a metalbox to the positive end with a clear Acrylic Top. ( top right of photo )

I bought a tube of silicone today and plan to put a big dob of it around where the metal end cap fits onto the Glass Laser Tube and where the small screw connect the Positive wire to this cap. Then once dry I will try again. Until then I'm not turning it on as I don't want to damage the tube. I have contacted RedSail about the issue but they will be on holiday for another 8 days due to the Chinese New Year.

Attachment 307242

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer2 View Post
    But fix this problem first, then work on the cutting
    For sure, until the arc'ing stops I'm not game to turn it on or do anything with it. Fingers crossed tonight when the silicone is dry everything returns to normal again!

Quote Originally Posted by KenR60 View Post
    For sure, until the arc'ing stops I'm not game to turn it on or do anything with it. Fingers crossed tonight when the silicone is dry everything returns to normal again!
    Definitely fix the arching first. I hope the silicon fixes it for you.

Covered the metal endcap and where the Positive Wire screws onto the Cap with Silicone, I turned on the machine, No Arc'ing, tried doing a test cut and nothing happened ( The Laser moved but no cut line ) Looked at Silicone and it was actually on fire with a small flame :-(

Cured silicone shouldn't burn.

Page 1 of 2 12