586,426 active members*
3,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > newbie servo controller questions

newbie servo controller questions

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased an XYZ table which I an converting into a small CNC Mill.

This unit was built by CyberTron, but they have not responded to any e-mail inquiries. Each slide has a 15 pin connector and I need advice on connecting these to a servo controller. I am new to the world of CNC and am unsure on how to test the servo motors.

Is there a webpage that explains CNC and servos for newbies? For instance, I'd like to know if a stepper motor can be controlled by a servo controller and vice versa. And will any servo controller be compatible with any servo motor? Is there a standard interpertation for the coloring of servo wires?

Any help and information on how to get this unit powered and running would be appreciated.

MJT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC110011.JPG   PC110010.JPG   PC110008.JPG  

you have to open up the connectors to see how many wires there are pr motor. Normaly there is 4-5-6 wires depending on what type of motor

12 wires!

Thanks Larsjo,

Actually, there are 12 wires per connection, some of these are connected to the encoder.
    What I need is a tutorial or advice on how to determine wire connections for servo motors and encoders. Any advice on servo driver kits would also be appreciated...

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1230003.JPG   ServoConnect1.JPG  

I think if this were me I would look at the motors themselves. Do they have labels on them that state the make and model. Then I would try to find the data out about that motor. Then do the same for the encoder that is mounted on them. For a lot of motors you can find info on the internet that can aid you in how you need to hook them up(current, amperage, encoder power, and what pin is what) Then when you get this info go to your machine and trace the wires from the motor and encoder pins and see where they connect to your cable plug or end (whatever you want to call it)

Once you have this data you then will know if these are AC or DC servos. You also know there operating rage as far as current and Amperage go. Then you can start looking for servo drives that match the criteria of the motors you have.

Then you can either get other ends that will connect to the cable ends you have or you can simply cut off the existing ones and replace them with your own or directly hook them up to the driver itself. I recommend going with some sort of connector though so you can have the ease of breaking down the system for repair, cleaining, storage and moving.

This is the starting steps I would take. I myself do not know a ton about servos but with the help of a friend who knows about electronics I am confidently moving forward in my 1st maching retrofit. We are using servos on this machine and I have never even built a stepper machine at this point.

I have found that the data collection stage can take some time and patients but usually you can find the info you need. You just have to keep looking.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope this was helpful.

PS you can post the model info and stuff you find on the motors and encoders and im sure we(me or somone else on the form) could help you try to find the info about them.

AC

doing some quick research it looks like the controllers that the manufacturer sell are not going to be step and direction so you might not be able to use them with sofware like Mach 3.

Just and FYI

AC