586,500 active members*
3,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: BT30 Spindle

Page 9 of 29 789101119

Re: BT30 Spindle

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You can do it if you have enough length between centers,the saddle will be in front of the large dia until you can move it forward, you can use a Boring Bar to rough machine the outside, doing it in steps, turning it down to say 102 Plus until you get up to the flange, then once the saddle can pass under, you can finish machine with normal machining, doing the flange face and OD at the same time
    I never would of thought of doing it that way, but it will work nice.

Problem solved.

so if you like my lathe has 650 mm between centers and 130 mm height and is cnc so you like i can lathe it for you ( needing exciting videos for lathe capabilities ) and vienna. is not that far from turkey -

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

@Tkamsker thanks for your offer. Yup You are not that far but shipping cost will take some I guess.

I've burned out my CNC controller while cutting the steady rest. Just ordered a new one but I won't be able to do anything at least for two weeks.

So, see you in two weeks.

While waiting for my new USB BOB I've decided to fix my TB6560 4 axis controller. Changed 4x TB6560 chips, 7805 regulator and the relay. It works as good as new. Now I can cut the steady rest and continue to my spindle project.

https://youtu.be/CySVNQ8Ug1E

Hello again.

I fixed my motion control card thus my CNC is alive again. To turn the 130mm billet round black iron I needed a larger steady rest. It was a pain cutting it on a faulty CNC but it's almost done anyway. The fingers has their bearings for smoother turn.

My air compressor starts in the end of the video so turn down the volume knob

I know one thing for sure. Cutting this buddy will not be easy.

There's a lot of chips in there that need to be cut out. The good thing is the cast iron chips are real small.

Mine is still on my lathe as I experienced a problem with the long stick out of the different boring bars that causes my tool post to rotate as the cut progresses. I do have a hole through it and am on the second end, but have stopped until I can correct the issue. I have a plan on how to fix it, and that will be made on my mill. But right now the mill is going through an upgrade and not running. The fix is for long term, not just to get through the spindle housing.

I forget how many hours I have into the housing now, but a lot. Seems like it took forever to just get a hole through that hunk of iron. But I had first turned the outside between centers to within .050" of it's finished size prior to turning my attention to the inside. At this point, the area for the top bearing half way through the housing is .050" undersize now and I was working on the lower end of the housing when I stopped.

Keep at it, that housing is in there somewhere.
    Bob

Hi Azalin
    is that round stock 130mm in diameter in last video ? I think you mentioned earlier in thread something about 130mm black iron stock...
    that stock is so big compared to your lathe.
    if you can't make that hole boring, I can only suggest go and buy thick wall tube, like I did, for me that was easy decision to buy 127mm OD and 35mm thick tube, it saved me lot of time to have stock with large hole already, and I didn't even turned rusted ID of spindle housing all the way through, I have some 40mm long section off that original rusted stock surface, it doesn't look very good.
    making spindle housing from solid round stock is very difficult even for me, I hope you make it. but if that is too hard then go with tube it will be much easier.

Hello,

It's been a while and I was busy. Trying to bore the 130mm round stock failed but I managed to bore the 303 SS 100mm stock. Now, I have a idea on how to fit the flange to the housing. The housing OD is currently 91.0mm. I haven't cut the flange yet. I'm planning a hot press fit the flange to the housing. So my question is about heat press fit tolerece. Again, the housing OD is 91mm so what ID should the flange have?

Options to shrink the housing: I have a deep freezer. Will it affect on a 91mm round 303 SS?
    Options to heat expand the flange: I have a mid size buthane torch and a barbecue

So, both freezing the housing and torch or barbecue heating the flange how much ID do I have to cut the flange? 0.2mm maybe or less?

Once the the press fit is done I'll also try to weld housing and the flange together.

Quote Originally Posted by RustedOut View Post
    There's a lot of chips in there that need to be cut out. The good thing is the cast iron chips are real small.

Mine is still on my lathe as I experienced a problem with the long stick out of the different boring bars that causes my tool post to rotate as the cut progresses. I do have a hole through it and am on the second end, but have stopped until I can correct the issue. I have a plan on how to fix it, and that will be made on my mill. But right now the mill is going through an upgrade and not running. The fix is for long term, not just to get through the spindle housing.

I forget how many hours I have into the housing now, but a lot. Seems like it took forever to just get a hole through that hunk of iron. But I had first turned the outside between centers to within .050" of it's finished size prior to turning my attention to the inside. At this point, the area for the top bearing half way through the housing is .050" undersize now and I was working on the lower end of the housing when I stopped.

Keep at it, that housing is in there somewhere.
    Bob
    Hi Bob,

Sorry you have trouble with your tool post. I hope you get it fixed soon. Have you machined all the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by epis View Post
    Hi Azalin
    is that round stock 130mm in diameter in last video ? I think you mentioned earlier in thread something about 130mm black iron stock...
    that stock is so big compared to your lathe.
    if you can't make that hole boring, I can only suggest go and buy thick wall tube, like I did, for me that was easy decision to buy 127mm OD and 35mm thick tube, it saved me lot of time to have stock with large hole already, and I didn't even turned rusted ID of spindle housing all the way through, I have some 40mm long section off that original rusted stock surface, it doesn't look very good.
    making spindle housing from solid round stock is very difficult even for me, I hope you make it. but if that is too hard then go with tube it will be much easier.
    I did a long search to find a suitable tube however I was out of luck.I needed a tube with 130OD and 40mm wall. The closest I could find is 133OD 25mm wall. Not much choice for me.

Press fit only isn't good enough on such a narrow flange. The best strategy for this is to thread it on so it butt's against a shoulder to maintain squareness.

Welding anything will require you to turn it square again.

Just a suggestion.

OK, I'll try one more time to bore the 130mm stock.

Hi,

I got another 130mm round stock but it is 1040 this time. It's a little harder than 303 SS. Let's see if I can bore this one.

I tried to cut the outside down to 90mm with a 20mm boring bar because the stock is larger than the carriage but I couldn't succeed. I'll take it to a machine shop and get it cut.

For sure, my next project will be a bigger slant type lathe.

And here it is. The guy has a nice lathe. It took him only 5-10 minutes to cut.

Cool !

Page 9 of 29 789101119