586,655 active members*
2,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G0704 VFD AC Motor Upgrade Information
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: G0704 VFD AC Motor Upgrade Information

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    I received a reply from Groschopp and they said they can make a 1.5+HP motor but the customer would need to cover the tooling costs for the longer rotors, waiting to hear what that would cost.. Bit footprint would remain the same just add length to the main body.

They also said they could increase the constant torque on the existing motors to 10:1 and supply custom drives to take full advantage of the motors. Will report back when I have some idea on the tooling costs for the longer higher horsepower motors.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    I am looking forward to hearing back on the tooling costs. I think I am going to go with the Groschopp and would defiantly like the 1.5 hp option. The Lesson motor looks good, but I am not going to add a head spacer so I can use the motor and have a PDB. That will make a whole new set of issues I don't feel like dealing with.

Ok, sorry for the delay... I did receive a reply and it is not what I was expecting.. $250k. Hahaha.. They way he posed the idea I imagined it would be a couple hundred bucks but I was way off apparantly.. So the 1.12hp motor will be the biggest they offer. I had not investigated it bit was just thinking I never compared the torque output of the groschopp motor and say a 1.5hp 56c or metric frame motor.. I think I will do that now..

That's called the "go away we really don't want to do it" number.

Yeah I think it may cost a bunch, bit they aren't pushing me away actually the opposite with regards to their current motor line up sizing with offers to design a seperately driven fan to get a higher constant torque rating, and designing in an encoder for vector feedback to the drives.. I think K they seem like a great company..

The Groschopp seems comparable to the Leeson IEC 3/4 HP motor. Here is the link:

LEESON Electric Corporation - www.leeson.com

The selling point for the Groschopp is that it is still smaller than the Leeson.

I am going to keep running the BLDC until it dies and have this in my back pocket ready to go.

I'll shoot some video of mine running on the next project. I use the PID loop with the BLDC setup. I rarely fluctuate more than 10 rpm when dropping into a cut. It overshoots the rpm on start up but after that it's pretty solid. I am still using the stock gearing so no belt drive either. A 1:1 on the belt drive may have more of an impact on the cut entry rpm holding steady.

1:1 is a lot more impact... What is your rpm range with the gearing in high and low?

150 to 1750 in low and 250 to 3500 in high. Definitely not 6000 that the motor will do but for as fast as I cut it's plenty. I may change out the motor gear and intermediate with the ones that Hoss used to get 5k out of his and see what happens but for now it cuts fine.

Hi all.

I did the Benchtop Precision belt drive upgrade and subsequently was frustrated by the limits to the spindle speed and weak midspeed (~800 rpm) torque when on the high range pulleys.

So I am thinking of upgrading to the MicroMax Y364 with the GS3 vector drive. The Y364 is a 1HP motor; at the moment I am still manual (will do the CNC upgrade next year) and a 48 lb, 2HP motor is a lot to lift with the hand wheel.

I do have a few questions for you all:

1. The Y364 motor body is 56C, which I assume is compatible with the stock motor? Specs show a diameter of 5.7". I haven't measured the stock motor but I don't think that should interfere with the Z column. I don't have a power drawbar but I do have TTS.
    2. With a usable motor RPM of 90 (20:1 torque ratio) to 3450 (2X the 60Hz rate), would you recommend a 1:1 pulley ratio? Any recommendations for the source of the pulleys? Cogged or V-belt?
    3. Since the VFD is a separate box, how is it wired into the G0704 circuit board? Or is it all wired externally, with the G0704 powered up only for the spindle RPM?

Thanks everyone for the help!

/adam

The VFD is a separate device. The original KBIC style speed controller will not be used.

If you want to use the tach on the display you can cut the board and use a wall wart for a power supply. It will not be inputting that info into the VFD or Mach. There are instructions floating around here somewhere. I found it, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ml#post1214286
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    If you want to use the tach on the display you can cut the board and use a wall wart for a power supply. It will not be inputting that info into the VFD or Mach. There are instructions floating around here somewhere. I found it, http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ml#post1214286
    Thanks, @Fastest1. I couldn't find the post you were referring to in that thread — lots of discussion of ball screw mounts but not much about the RPM sensor. Can you point me to a post # in the thread (#726 is the last post at the moment).

I guess I have a few options for the RPM sensor:

1. "Cut the board" as you describe
    2. Feed the RPM data to the vector control VFD
    3. Feed the RPM data to the Android-based 3-axis DRO I installed on the mill

Or some combination of these.

I would also like to preserve the quill Z-axis DRO though, so that further argues for keeping some element of the existing circuitry.

Further to the part of my question about the pulleys, I see that the Y364 motor has a 5/8" shaft. There are a variety of V-belt and cogged pulleys available for that shaft size. However, the mill upper bearing has a 45mm OD, and finding a matching pulley is ... unlikely. Is the best approach just to look for a motor pulley with the same (or as close as possible) OD as the one that Benchtop Precision supplies with the belt-drive kit?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ablock View Post
    Hi all.

I did the Benchtop Precision belt drive upgrade and subsequently was frustrated by the limits to the spindle speed and weak midspeed (~800 rpm) torque when on the high range pulleys.

So I am thinking of upgrading to the MicroMax Y364 with the GS3 vector drive. The Y364 is a 1HP motor; at the moment I am still manual (will do the CNC upgrade next year) and a 48 lb, 2HP motor is a lot to lift with the hand wheel.

I do have a few questions for you all:

1. The Y364 motor body is 56C, which I assume is compatible with the stock motor? Specs show a diameter of 5.7". I haven't measured the stock motor but I don't think that should interfere with the Z column. I don't have a power drawbar but I do have TTS.
    2. With a usable motor RPM of 90 (20:1 torque ratio) to 3450 (2X the 60Hz rate), would you recommend a 1:1 pulley ratio? Any recommendations for the source of the pulleys? Cogged or V-belt?
    3. Since the VFD is a separate box, how is it wired into the G0704 circuit board? Or is it all wired externally, with the G0704 powered up only for the spindle RPM?

Thanks everyone for the help!

/adam
    The VFD has an rpm read out on the screen, if you mount it in eye shot, no need to worry with the stock display. If you opening to run it 1:1. If using the benchtop precision setup, I'm thinking he offered pulleys for the motor and an adapter as well for mounting the 3ph motors, although it may be for a metric sized motor. You may consider a lesson metric motor if you don't want to have to modify anything or ask if he has something for the 56c face mounting. It's considerable larger than the stock g0704 DC motor!

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

I would love more info on your drawbar/pulley setup and linear rail conversion, I have the motor and VFD already, just need to get the parts made and installed.

The info on reusing the stock tach started on post # 478. It shows the board and some soldered jumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    The info on reusing the stock tach started on post # 478. It shows the board and some soldered jumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks, that's a very interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ablock View Post
    Thanks, that's a very interesting thread.
    I had communicated with mhackney during this time. I was under the impression he was able to use the signal for Mach and the tach. He never verified if it worked or how. On the other hand if it did damage anything, it would be a cheap tach.

I used the old pulley. I had some 1 1/4 bearing bronze. I bored out the old pulley, made a bronze plug and bored it to 5/8. I cut a new keyway with a broach from Travers.

I hit upon the same solution on my own. I made an adapter plate to mount the motor, Bored out the old pulley, plugged it, re-bored to 0.625 and re-cut a keyway.
    I am using an Arduino to measure the pulse modulated wave that controlled spindle speed. I think it was the purple wire going to the 10 pin connector.
    I convert that to frequency that is pulled up to 24 volts to control the Hitachi VFD. A parameter needs set on the VFD for this option.
    Also I used some logic gates and a uln2803 chip to drive a couple ov 24 volt relays to select spindle forward, reverse and stop.
    I am dividing the 0-10VDC signal down to 0-5VDC and connectiong that to the volt meter on the panel. You can select this signal to represent either FVD frequency or power.
    I am using only the input.output reactors and a fuse block. I did not use the filters. I also put in a braking resistor.
    I mounted the VFD, 2 relays, cabinet fan, and 3ph output reactor in a separate panel. The Arduino, a little logic board, 2 ph input reactor and fuse block are in the back panel of the Mikini.
    I selected the Hitachi WJ200-015SF VFD. it is a bit oversized for the Y364 Marathon motor which is OK with me.
    Anyone working on the spindle should check spindle bearing preload. Mine was loose as a goose.

Does this setup require 3ph? I thought with the VFD it could be run in single phase.

Page 2 of 3 123