586,608 active members*
3,763 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Why show DTG?

The DTG (Distance to Go) is prominently shown on the PP screen and continuously updated but why is it particularly useful? It would seem far better to use the screen real estate to show machine coordinates or... What am I missing? Is there a way to display something different?

Re: Why show DTG?

They tout it as a way of doing a sanity check on the fly. Makes sense to me for the Z, never paid attention for the X and Y. I usually don't look at it again once the tool starts the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The DTG (Distance to Go) is prominently shown on the PP screen and continuously updated but why is it particularly useful? It would seem far better to use the screen real estate to show machine coordinates or... What am I missing? Is there a way to display something different?
    Because if you are traveling toward an obstruction you can see in advance if your going to run into it. If your approaching your vise or a clamp and are half an inch away as you are approaching at a slow speed and you have an inch to go you can stop before hitting and correct the problem.

Otherwise you have to wait till you hit it to know for sure that you will hit it.

DTG is very common on things like HAAS controls as well. I don't use it a lot, but it comes in handy for sanity checking what's going on.