586,639 active members*
2,934 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: The 440 has arrived!

The 770, and I think the 1100, have at least two accessory plugs that are tied to switches in the controller. One is labeled/designed for the computer and the other for coolant. For power off I simply exit out of PP until it tells me it's safe to turn off the computer, then I reach over to the control panel on the controller and flip the computer switch off. Next time I return to the mill I flip the computer switch on and PP powers up.

A little surprised the 440 doesn't work this way.

Any updates? I found your YouTube videos the other night and love the detail in the videos! I want to see more on that coolant system if you got it yet. I noticed there really isn't a good drain system on the tray and was curious how that all came together.

Also curious if you can elaborate on the user interface. I find the use of touch screen buttons could be an issue for me. I like having a physical cycle start/stop.

No real updates, sorry. I'm in the process of moving (bad timing!) so we've been getting our house ready for sale and been looking at houses and such. The good news is the point of moving is getting a much bigger shop so I can do more videos and projects!

Also, thank for the compliment!

The coolant system hasn't shown up yet and I don't have an ETA. I'm very curious about this as well. I'm not really sure how it's going to work either. At the very least, I can't seem to figure out how the drain system will work.

I found myself using the touchscreen the first few weeks and then I reverted back to the mouse. Maybe I'll get more used to it, but it doesn't really save me any time using the touchscreen. I plan on making physical buttons, mounted to the enclosure. I really miss my pendant. The jog shuttle is alright, but I'd rather have a pendant like what I have on my other mill. I'm eagerly waiting for vistaCNC to support PathPilot. Once that happens, I'll get one of their pendants immediately. Do you hear that guys? ;-)

As far as cutting and such, there's nothing to really talk about. It cuts like you'd hope and expect. It's maybe too soon to say, but I'd say it cuts better than my PM30, and it's a much smaller mill. I realize CNC Zone has a lot of people that build their own CNC machines (myself included), but after owning a Tormach, I'm realizing I just wasted a lot of time building mills when I should have just saved money and bought a Tormach to start. I've built 3 mills over the years and I never got something as capable as the 440. My PM30 has a lot more travel, but if we compare apples to apples, I'd rather have the 440. I can just go out to my shop, turn stuff on and start cutting. With the PM30, there was just a lot more tweaking and maintenance.

Feel free to ping me again. This weekend I should have some time to do more cutting and such. Moving from Mach3 and Solidworks over to PathPilot and Fusion360 has been a HUGE transition for me, so that's been eating up most of the time. I'm not a professional, just another garage hobbyist, so I don't have a ton of time to learn things from scratch, so it takes me a bit more time :-)
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RobertCowanDIY

Quote Originally Posted by cowanrg View Post
    No real updates, sorry. I'm in the process of moving (bad timing!) so we've been getting our house ready for sale and been looking at houses and such. The good news is the point of moving is getting a much bigger shop so I can do more videos and projects!

Also, thank for the compliment!

The coolant system hasn't shown up yet and I don't have an ETA. I'm very curious about this as well. I'm not really sure how it's going to work either. At the very least, I can't seem to figure out how the drain system will work.

I found myself using the touchscreen the first few weeks and then I reverted back to the mouse. Maybe I'll get more used to it, but it doesn't really save me any time using the touchscreen. I plan on making physical buttons, mounted to the enclosure. I really miss my pendant. The jog shuttle is alright, but I'd rather have a pendant like what I have on my other mill. I'm eagerly waiting for vistaCNC to support PathPilot. Once that happens, I'll get one of their pendants immediately. Do you hear that guys? ;-)

As far as cutting and such, there's nothing to really talk about. It cuts like you'd hope and expect. It's maybe too soon to say, but I'd say it cuts better than my PM30, and it's a much smaller mill. I realize CNC Zone has a lot of people that build their own CNC machines (myself included), but after owning a Tormach, I'm realizing I just wasted a lot of time building mills when I should have just saved money and bought a Tormach to start. I've built 3 mills over the years and I never got something as capable as the 440. My PM30 has a lot more travel, but if we compare apples to apples, I'd rather have the 440. I can just go out to my shop, turn stuff on and start cutting. With the PM30, there was just a lot more tweaking and maintenance.

Feel free to ping me again. This weekend I should have some time to do more cutting and such. Moving from Mach3 and Solidworks over to PathPilot and Fusion360 has been a HUGE transition for me, so that's been eating up most of the time. I'm not a professional, just another garage hobbyist, so I don't have a ton of time to learn things from scratch, so it takes me a bit more time :-)
    Are you planning to post any videos or info on how moving the machines went? Curious if you can move the machine with the case still attached to the CNC.

I saw VistaCNC and their pendants for Mach software but no PathPilot. I ran Mazaks on and off for 3 years and ran Haas's for 2 years. I need physical buttons! So I'm curious why you are leaving Solidworks for Fusion360, just giving it a try or is it better matched with the Tormach system? I saw they offer a 1 year subscription but I wasn't sure if its a matter of ease of use with Tormach.

Definitely keep everything posted! I am a manufacturing engineer for a plastic container manufacturer after working 5 years around CNC's. I love my new job but miss the creativity of making my own metal parts. I'll be right there with you as a garage hobbyist.

We're still deciding exactly what to do for the move, but my friend moved his shop (he's a wood-worker) with the standard moving company. They were able to handle his stuff and he has a big Powermatic table saw and such. I was going to try them and see if they could do it. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm going to most likely sell my PM30 before I move though. I don't need 2 CNC machines :-)

I'm really not 'leaving' Solidworks, I was just trying the Fusion360 route because it came with the 440. I think I still prefer Solidworks. But I also only have HSMxpress, which is limiting, whereas Fusion360 has the full CAM package. But yeah, it's also because of the integration with Tormach. However, Solidworks and HSMxpress (with the correct post processor) works fine too.

Yeah, once I build more stuff I'll keep making more videos. I feel a bit out-classed by NYCCNC and Grimsmo because they do this for a LIVING. They are doing this as their job, whereas I'm somewhere else doing other stuff for 40+ hours of the week ;-) I don't have as much time to build up the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanrg View Post
    We're still deciding exactly what to do for the move, but my friend moved his shop (he's a wood-worker) with the standard moving company. They were able to handle his stuff and he has a big Powermatic table saw and such. I was going to try them and see if they could do it. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm going to most likely sell my PM30 before I move though. I don't need 2 CNC machines :-)

I'm really not 'leaving' Solidworks, I was just trying the Fusion360 route because it came with the 440. I think I still prefer Solidworks. But I also only have HSMxpress, which is limiting, whereas Fusion360 has the full CAM package. But yeah, it's also because of the integration with Tormach. However, Solidworks and HSMxpress (with the correct post processor) works fine too.

Yeah, once I build more stuff I'll keep making more videos. I feel a bit out-classed by NYCCNC and Grimsmo because they do this for a LIVING. They are doing this as their job, whereas I'm somewhere else doing other stuff for 40+ hours of the week ;-) I don't have as much time to build up the experience.

I'm a full time Knifemaker and just got the 440 myself and 100% new to CNC. I was curious about the flood coolant, have you received it? Any updates? Thank you!

Hey, sorry for the late reply!

The last I heard about the flood coolant was that it was a few weeks (maybe up to a month) out. I haven't gotten mine yet, it's still delayed. I can post when I get another update.

Congrats on getting a 440!

UPDATE:

I just got a UPS shipping notification and it says it's from Tormach. Since I didn't order anything recently, that means it's gotta be the flood coolant kit. Unfortunately it's going to show up Monday so I can't get it installed this weekend. But the weekend after that I can get it installed and potentially get a video up of the install and setup.

Thats how it happened when they shipped my monitor stand that was back ordered on my lathe.
    Don't know for sure what it is, but something is coming.
    Lee

Yeah! That's how the gauge kit shipped (it was backordered as well). I just got a notification from UPS one day and BAM, it showed up.

I'm really looking forward to it though. Let me know if there's anything you guys want to see specifically. I'll be going over the unboxing, setup, and drainage, etc.

Yup, I also just got a UPS w/ Flood Coolant for my 440 that was backordered.

Nice!

I wish I was getting it this weekend though, it's going to be nice. Oh well, I'll just have to wait until the next weekend to play with it.

Have you figured out where it will drain to?
    Lee

The only thing I can figure out is the little slot in the front of the tray. But it's pretty small, and hangs over the front of the stand. So, I'm more excited to see how it all works than I am to actually use the kit ;-) I just want to know how it all goes together.

The flood coolant kit has arrived! Here is a quick look at the parts. Looks like the little cutout in the front of the tray houses a little tray that carries the coolant back to a container where the pump sits (inside the cabinet I assume). It came in 3 separate boxes. I'll get it all installed this weekend, let me know if you guys have any questions.

Tormach 440 Flood Coolant Kit Preview - Album on Imgur

Does anyone need voltage transformers for CNC.
    we are manufacturer in shenzhen, china.
    hope we can help you! thank you all

https://huangshi.en.alibaba.com/?spm...19056.6.qtg0a3

Cowan,

I would highly recommend additional chip screening from the tray to the sump. I use an 1100 at work, and even the fine mesh it utilizes still sometimes lets chip through to the sump. I would recommend some kind of additional filter media such as...

McMaster-Carr

Item number 21205K32

I finally got around to installing the flood coolant kit. All went relatively well, other than breaking the loc-line. :-) The kit is pretty decent, but pretty messy in the enclosure, coolant goes everywhere. Check out the video:

Good video. If I might add (you neglected to mention it in your pro/con part of the vid), the biggest pro of flood coolant is that it is more effective at cooling the work than a mist system is. You have far more mass (and water has a better Cp than air / oil) translating the work removing heat generated by the cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted98gsx View Post
    Good video. If I might add (you neglected to mention it in your pro/con part of the vid), the biggest pro of flood coolant is that it is more effective at cooling the work than a mist system is. You have far more mass (and water has a better Cp than air / oil) translating the work removing heat generated by the cutter.
    Very true. Good point!

Page 3 of 4 1234