586,829 active members*
3,162 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Weird Problem Possibly Due To EMC2

Hi! I've got EMC2 and Ubuntu loaded on a 1GHz PC with 256Mb RAM. The parallel port is wired up to a 4-axis driver from Nudrive. For some reason, I can jog the first axis and the third axis correctly but when I try to jog the second axis, no matter which direction I use (+ or -) the axis moves in the same direction. Any ideas on how this can happen? Is it some sort of weird wiring mistake or is it more likely an incorrect setup with EMC2? I've set the parallel port pinouts for the second axis to dir 9 and step 8 since my second driver is not working for some other reason. I'm kinda stumped. Thanks!

sounds like wiring to me. can you switch the wires from one of the good axis to the second axis, to make sure the hardware is not the issue. also try the two current wires for the second axis and use them on the 1st or 3rd axis to see if the parallel port pins are working. I would think this would tell you whether it is hardware or emc issue.

Sirs...If you use the standard_pinout.hal for your axis you could disable all other pins you do not use.
    For example, I do not use the spindle but EMC2 assign pin 9 to spindle so that I could not dirve my Z axis correctly which controlled by pin 9 and pin 8(step/direction)

For your reference ...a member from Taiwan,R.O.C.

Update

Hi! I wasn't sure how EMC2 controls the spindle with pin 9. Is it a on/off type control? Anyway, I've checked all 4 stepper motor drivers by connecting their step/dir inputs to the good first axis step/dir inputs and everything worked. The problem could be the wiring from the parallel port to the drivers or the parallel port could be bad. I am using an old Pentium 3 1GHz computer. I might check if my laptop will work. Thanks!

The obvious observation is that the 'direction' line for the second axis is stuck/shorted/not connected, but the 'step' line is ok. Try measuring the voltage at the direction input on the motor controller to see if it goes Low and High as required.

Turns out that my wiring from the parallel port to the 50 pin scsi connector was to blame. I made another set of wires which are working OK now. I don't really trust my solder job so I'll buy a 50 pin scsi breakout board to make the wiring easier. Thanks for the suggestions!