586,692 active members*
3,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Pocket With Island (Solidworks parts)

Pocket With Island (Solidworks parts)

I'm importing a solidworks model into Edgecam 10.5.

Is there a way to create "island geometry" around specific features and then use this geometry to mill out the pocket while keeping those islands?

Reasoning... the features are small and close together which will necessitate a smaller endmill (more time) than I'd like to use for the rest of the part. I'd like to be able to use a larger endmill to "hog" out most of the material and then go back in to these specific "island areas" with a smaller endmill and create that geometry.

Thanks,

Make a feature of the pocket and the island. Then rough the pocket with the big tool marking both features. Then rough again with the small tool. In roughing command check rest roughing. Now the small tool will only concentrate on the leftovers from the big tool. If theres several roughing before the restroughing you have to mark the right one

Bent

I have a "feature" which is the profile of the 2D pocket and I have three 2D bosses as their own features. Is there a way to mill out the 2D pocket while keeping the 2D Bosses?

I'd like to see the file. Can you send it to me?

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Thanks

Hey thanks for the pointers and offering to look at my part.

The wierd thing is this:

I have been able to draw some 2D geometry (rectangles) and accomplish what I want. But...

When I create geometry from the solid I get a message that says:

"Entity does not lie in the plane of the CPL"

Is the geometry created from a solid different than the geometry that you can create using edgecam functions?

If you make a geometry from a solid and have not checked the 2D button you get a geometry that follows the solid. If you check the 2D button the geometry follows the constructionplane CPL. Why dont you use features as they are more intelligent and bond to the solid. If you change the solid the feature opdates itself.
    Bent

I'll figure something out

I have tried to make geometry with the "2D" button checked. The geometry shows up at the z0 level but I still get the:

"entity does not lie in the plane of the cpl" when I try to do a roughing operation.

I have also tried to create features using the solids menu still with the "2D" button checked. again, the features look correct but then I run into the same problem where I want to mill a pocket while keeping the islands.

You shouldn't have to draw anything. You dont even need to set a CPL. Zero's already in the upper left corner.

This video should show you how to do it. It's about 10mb. Hope you can get that.

http://www.tipsformfg.com/bin/EC-Rou...ted_Pocket.exe

It's a self executing video file. Drop it on your desktop and double click to run it.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

you should be able to do a feature find, and find the 2d pocket. Select the entire solid for your machining and then use the feature as your containment boundary.
    Mike W.

Mike,

Did you look at the video (above)? Did I make it more complex than it needed to be? I'd welcome your input.

BTW: I just mailed the new Mill Video training CD to Steve. It should be there by Tues/Wed. I would love to get your opinion of it.

Mike Mattera

it looked very nice, i just watched it and i'll make sure he lets me watch it when it comes in
    Mike W.

Excellent video, Mike

I look forward to checking out the mill training CD.

Have a Merry Christmas

Peter

"Did I make it more complex than it needed to be?"
    with edgecam shurley not
    one thing i find with solidworks models is as an iges they can do odd stuff
    in edgecam always use sldprt files (well i do)
    i still after 18 months dont find it as intuative as others
    (designed by a boffin not a machinist ) as someone once said .......probably

happy new year