586,655 active members*
3,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fusion 360 question

Hi all,

I have a question for Fusion 360 users that's kicking my butt. I was hoping to find an answer here, rather that going to the fusion forum for the first time, with all that entails.

I want to do the simple semi-circle cut on the end of a piece of bar stock as shown in the attachment, but I can't for the life of me, figure out how to select the arc section without fusion selecting the entire perimeter of the stock. I'm trying to use 2D contour since that seems the appropriate operation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

Re: Fusion 360 question

The easiest way to do that is to hold down the ALT key when you select the edge. It's a feature that's not well documented.

Thanks for you help wvines, that did the trick! It did create a rather odd tool path, but since I was making a low tech part (hinge point for a wood arm), I didn't try to refine it.

It cut perfectly for what I needed. Just for info, here's the tool path. It made the first pass all the way around the arc, after that it cut one side to depth, then the other.

Terry

Another way is to select your edge, then click on your selection again(it will be yellow or red). This brings up a selection menu, select open contour(top right on the pop-up menu), then select all of the edges you want. They'll turn blue. Accept contour using the plus sign. This method would be more useful for modifying your selection.

Hi Philbobb,
    I tried you method, but it isn't working for me for some reason. I can go thru the steps that you outlined, and the color changes on the semi circle section, as you indicated, but when I accept (with the +) I get a yellow warning saying no valid tool path.

Terry

That uses HSMWorks for the Cam - The forums for that are pretty good, and the development team is pretty responsive. I use the same CAM but Solidworks for the CAD

That's a weird toolpath. The only way I can get a similar result is if I click "Stock Contours" under geometry. If I select a chain under stock selections, it gives the no toolpath error. With stock contours un-selected, it gives complete 180 degree arcs.

that's a small bug if you delete that tool path and try again 9 times out of 10 it will be fine on the second try
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]