587,035 active members*
2,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kluber alternative?

I am anticipating some time in the shop, and part of that will (probably) be spent upgrading the bearings on the G0704. What are some alternatives to the Kluber? That stuff is more $ than the bearings, LOL. Plus, I'm not sure magic grease is really necessary is it? The speeds don't seem that extreme (I will maybe hit 6K with my belt drive... and that is being overly optimistic, down hill with the wind to my back....)

So, is there any run-of the mill $10 goop from the auto store that would be just fine in it's place? What about "Super-lube"?

Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease (NLGI 2), 3 oz Tube: Science Lab Cleaning Supplies: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    Q: How many tools does it take before a simple task becomes a project?
    A: Just one. I'm the Tool that turns a simple task in to a project.

Re: Kluber alternative?

I like the nice translucent red bearing grease you can get at any auto parts store for under $5. It works great, never had a bearing failure. Using $$$$ grease in a low-end, low-performane Chinese machine makes no sense at all. It makes as much sense as running $8/gallon 100-octane AvGas in a chainsaw...

Regards,
    Ray L.

The magic grease is for high end bearings, running fast.
    The bearings cost more than the cheap tool.

Any std grease will work for basic bearings at 6000 rpm.

There is a critical speed, dN.
    diameter (mm) x speed (rpm).
    Kluber > 500 000.
    50 mm d x 6000 = 300.000

I did finally find the "Ye old bearing grease, just don't pack it in like a wheel bearing" recommendation in a search. It makes sense... spending $40 to protect $30 in bearings didn't add up. If someone catches this thread later, I did find small syringes of Kluber on Ebay for around $18, which although slightly more tenable is still more than I would prefer to pay, LOL.

Thanks all!

Any grease is not really the best idea. Not because of the grease but the melt point.

The bearings have no real way to get grease except to get hot and then melt the grease. You want a grease that has the same melt point as the stock grease and is the same thickness.

I'm running Mobil SHC PM 460 it is a Lithium complex and is NLGI 1.5 grade which is the right melt point and thickness.

So far so good and its fairly cheep from McMasters.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

I went with Kluber. Here is my justification and rationale fro buying Kluber Grease... I also list some cheaper alternatives.

https://donstechnologyblog.wordpress...pindle-grease/

$500 contact bearings definitely changes the formula for cost/protection ratio, LOL. I'm going to run it with a decent quality synthetic wheel bearing grease, worst case is I chunk a $30 set of bearings.

What kind of grease is the stock grease? (And is it even relevant considering the bearing type is different?)

As an alternate line of thought... I wonder what a good cleaning and repacking of the stock bearings with Kluber might yield? I have the feeling half (or more) of the crunky feel and heat are just from factory grit/grime in what is an otherwise just fine set of TR Bearings. (Well, OK a cheap assed set of otherwise fine of TR Bearings, LOL.)