586,776 active members*
9,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digitizing software

Hi, I have a Centurion 6 control and was wondering if anybody out there used the digitizing software and or if it's still supported by Milltronics, I think it's just macro's. I do have a probe but don't want to spend $1000.00 for option if it's no good.
    Thanks Ray.

Re: Digitizing software

it is good for what is designed to do. It will give you a good point cloud, then you can open the software in dos box on your PC and save the file as a dxf. It will give you a series of connected lines that you can manipulate with your cad cam software OR you can write your own XY digitizing program to give you a profile of a part and do the same or import it into a conversational program and ID or OD profile or pocket from the DXF. Well worth the money if you are replicating parts. Worth the money for the support you will get with it. Kind of a pain to figure out on your own.

So they still support it, it's pretty old software. They say after digitizing you can cut the part straight form the PC without sending the data out to a third party software.

that is true, you can do that, but the cutter will follow the sweep path of the digitizer on XY and Z, comped for diameter and radius of course. My use for it has been to measure a part that couldn't be measured by any other practical means. You could use it for all sorts of things. If you set your pick points tight enough, you could scan a quarter and make a quarter that was a foot in diameter. Sometimes I get parts in and can't find a good measurement inch or metric due to radiuses on profiles and blended corners, etc. so its nice to be able to scan it and import it to cad/cam. It is as powerful as you need it to be and as capable as the macros that you write. That is why I reccomend buying it, I have trouble wrapping my brain around macro programming and for that you may want support. I think my brain might actually be full, if I'm going to remember something, I tend to have to forget something else, like where I left that allen wrench. I guess it would help to know what you intend to do with it.

I was thinking about reproducing old motorbike parts like cases etc, or it just would be nice to have who know what I might want to replicate.

it would be ideal for that. That kind of work is what it was designed to do.

Hi Dresda, The "Digiscan" software has not changed much over years, Milltronics may have a version that works on Win 7 in a "DOS BOX" mode. best to have a older XP machine around. to run the software on, ( run in 340X350" video mode. This software was originally designed for the "Mold industry" Scan the part make the scanned file, bring into Digiscan, set parting lines, scale, rotate and more. If you are looking to "duplicate" a part it is the way to go. I have looked at " laser" systems trying get a better "mouse trap" but not as yet found it.
    Doing a part with a lot of "pick points" ( step over) can take SOME time to do) if you are moving in let's say x and want to "pick a point" every .010" that will give you a fine detail, but be prepared to spend some time doing it. If the part does not have a lot of detail ( sweeping curve) a longer, say a ( .500") pick point could be used and you could be done in a few minutes.
    The standard probe tip is a .118" ruby tip probe, for finer detail a smaller diameter probe would need to be used, I believe these go down to a .010" tip.

Running digitizing on the Milltronics control requires some parameter entries to be made, The digitizing parameters are 1 of 2 "hidden" parameters that Milltronics has. If you don't know, GFL figuring it out. Once you buy it , you have all the support from Milltronics service to "get r done". There is 2 guys in Milltronics Service that really know the digitizing, It is Mark and Troy. ( several "new guys" in service they are coming along but it is a fairly long road to "all knowledge"

That being said, Milltronics Service is Head and Shoulders above 99% of the "service department's" I work with on a daily basis, If nothing else they have " Care and Concern".

Sportybob