586,761 active members*
7,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco BMC Thread Millng?

Hurco BMC Thread Millng?

Hi All,
    I’m learning to use a Hurco BMC30 (Max32) as my first CNCexperience. After a long rebuilding process everything is working except forthe graphics monitor, so I can’t really use the conversational side of themachine. Until that gets sorted out, I’m using HSMXpress with SolidWorks to writeCAM files, post-process and send g-code to the machine. I’ve found that when I uploadmy posts the machine reports an error if the z feed rate isn’t a whole number.This makes me wonder: is it even possible to do single point thread milling onthis machine?

Re: Hurco BMC Thread Millng?

You can use a thread mill with HSMXpress. You will need to define your threadmill tool as a regular endmill in HSMXpress. HSMXpress and HSMWorks will generate the helical moves in gcode that the Hurco can handle. BTW, the Hurco conversational interface also does helical moves for threadmilling. Check out Youtube and look for John Saunders at NYCCNC. He has used a threadmill on his Tormach and uses Solidworks and HSMXpress. John did a video where he takes you pretty well step-by-step through the CAD/CAM to threadmill with Solidworks and HSMXpress.

Here is a link to the Tutorial video that John Saunders (NYCCNC) created.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a43S2y7Ccy8

--

Thanks! That's some promising good news for larger threads at least. I'll have a go at this tomorrow to verify that my machine is accommodating. I'm curious to see how the helical moves avoid the integer feed rate restriction: maybe that's a limitation I'll need to field in HSM, assuming that the horizontal feed for the helix can be slaved to an integer vertical feed. Given the apparent restriction to integer values for Z feed rate, it would seem that rigid tapping of small threads is out of the question with this machine, unless a tapping head is used (?).
    Quote Originally Posted by gcude View Post
    You can use a thread mill with HSMXpress. You will need to define your threadmill tool as a regular endmill in HSMXpress. HSMXpress and HSMWorks will generate the helical moves in gcode that the Hurco can handle. BTW, the Hurco conversational interface also does helical moves for threadmilling. Check out Youtube and look for John Saunders at NYCCNC. He has used a threadmill on his Tormach and uses Solidworks and HSMXpress. John did a video where he takes you pretty well step-by-step through the CAD/CAM to threadmill with Solidworks and HSMXpress.

No rigid tapping on the older Hurco's. You may want to get a floating tap holder, used on machines with no rigid tapping cycle. One like these: https://www.maritool.com/Tool-Holder..._70/index.html
    You can read about the floating tap holders here: Advantages and Pitfalls of Rigid Tapping - CNCCookbook CNCCookbook

Thanks for the info and recommendation! This is hugely helpful.
    I didn't get to try the HSM helical path for larger threads today, but I'll post when I know something.

Cheers.