586,655 active members*
2,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > need help choosing laser engraver with these featuresThanks.

need help choosing laser engraver with these featuresThanks.

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read this. I need a machine that will let me engrave in granite and marble and stone, with at least a 12x16 area, I plan to do photos and text, and need to be able to put at least a 3 inch thick slab in the machine, I want co2 ( what I can afford) and a pass thru and lift bed would be great also. 110 volt and under 12 amps.
    I have a Windows 7 usb laptop and I really want to stay away from the Chinese machines. Any recommendations are appreciated, as to brand, model, cost and how many watts I need...I would like to stay under $2500. This will be my first laser. Thanks again.

Re: need help choosing laser engraver with these featuresThanks.

You won't stay away from the chinese machines at that price. You'll run towards them and give them a lover's embrace. Even then the budget is tight I think. Not sure what watts you need for granite engraving but still.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

HI, as I said, I really don't want to go Chinese. I know there are a few options, such as used from eBay, but would like to get some input as to what's a good company to deal with, I have seen Boss.....and Versa laser in my price range used, and am not quite sure about full spectrum and glowforge... The glowforge guy talks a good story, perhaps to Good? I would have to read more reviews. As for the Chinese machines, I have heard and read more bad than good about them,
    Any helpful Input appreciated. Thanks all.

Boss/Full Spectrum are mainly chinese (tubes etc) but look to be custom built rather than generic. Versa is certainly the other 'non chinese' style by a glance at their site (as the tube is air cooled). Glowforge is a pre order but I would guess its another chinese tube with better engineering. Anyhow, other than the Versa, these are all premium chinese IMO.

They certainly have a place in the market as the chinese brands are lacking in fit and finish generally but expect to pay double or more for a machine that looks nicer but has similar capabilities than a direct import.

As far as bad and good, only the bad talk about it. The good are busy I find somewhat. For sure you need to research and do not expect it to be without hiccups (minor and major) but you should price out an import and decide the value difference for yourself. There is a value in the Boss/Full Spectrum style machines but I find the mark up they need to do to make a good product that is essentially a resale is higher than the value I place on it. Simple as that. If you have a higher value add product in mind and what to get up and running fast - the value would be more in their favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingswarrior View Post
    Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read this. I need a machine that will let me engrave in granite and marble and stone, with at least a 12x16 area, I plan to do photos and text, and need to be able to put at least a 3 inch thick slab in the machine, I want co2 ( what I can afford) and a pass thru and lift bed would be great also. 110 volt and under 12 amps.
    I have a Windows 7 usb laptop and I really want to stay away from the Chinese machines. Any recommendations are appreciated, as to brand, model, cost and how many watts I need...I would like to stay under $2500. This will be my first laser. Thanks again.
    Your budget is completely unrealistic. You said you want to stay away from Chinese lasers. Domestic lasers start at $15000 and up. Might be able to get a used domestic laser for $6000-$8000.

Boss glowforge full spectrum these are all Chinese made lasers US support. I thought you said you didn't want a Chinese laser?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingswarrior View Post
    HI, as I said, I really don't want to go Chinese. I know there are a few options, such as used from eBay, but would like to get some input as to what's a good company to deal with, I have seen Boss.....and Versa laser in my price range used, and am not quite sure about full spectrum and glowforge... The glowforge guy talks a good story, perhaps to Good? I would have to read more reviews. As for the Chinese machines, I have heard and read more bad than good about them,
    Any helpful Input appreciated. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithOKC View Post
    Boss glowforge full spectrum these are all Chinese made lasers US support. I thought you said you didn't want a Chinese laser?
    To be fair, its not like they advertise "hey we're expensive versions of chinese machines that you can buy for way less if you like" Rabbit is maybe the only one that is upfront like that (or close enough).

Anyhow, now he knows. Still don't know if the budget works even for a direct import machine.

I would agree his budget is too low for a decent import as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gfacer2 View Post
    To be fair, its not like they advertise "hey we're expensive versions of chinese machines that you can buy for way less if you like" Rabbit is maybe the only one that is upfront like that (or close enough).

Anyhow, now he knows. Still don't know if the budget works even for a direct import machine.

wklaserliu Guest

HI Kingswarrior ,
    you said you not like buy form China, hmm, this is no problem, but machines in other country ,most also from China.

like boss laser and Full Spectrum ,you can go to their web to check and then check our web: www.wklaser.com then you will see and understand, as Gfacer said ,they are reseller of our machines.

ok, i not like talk more . after you chekc all this is clear.

Quiven from gweike laser
    [email protected]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	factory .jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	297028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	factory .jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	297028

we provide gem machine
    www.dongtai168.com www.dongtai1688.com
    gem processing machine

I know you said you don't want a Chinese machines, but I have one of the Chinese Shenhui SH-G350 50W eBay lasers like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQE9xG3COww
    50W CO2 USB Laser Engraving Cutting Machine ENGRAVER Cutter Woodworking Crafts | eBay

Cost was around $1,800 including shipping. Bed size is 500mmx300mm.

I have engraved several marble pieces with photographs for various personal memorials and have been really happy with the results. I haven't tried granite or stone, but I have heard that they engrave with much less contrast compared to marble.

-robertk925