586,419 active members*
2,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > most worthless cadcam software

most worthless cadcam software

i learned on mastercam, and have been using surfcam for 11 years, ive used others, so i'd like to hear what you like, what you use, and what you hate.

hehe, i like surfcam (not perfect) hate gibbs, (ms paint gone pro)

I like Mastercam, it is a pretty good software.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mastercam sucks. GIBBS ALL THE WAY!! you wanna make money or at least make the boss happy?
    CNC Set Up Machinist -Twin Turret Turning on Mori-Seiki and Mazak

I got into CNC for R&D and prototyping our product ideas and had no prior experience with CAD/CAM. I went with OneCNC and I couldn't be happier. OneCNC for CAD/CAM and Flashcut for the control end of things have saved much time and money. -Ryan

Another vote for OneCNC after a lot of trials, and quite a bit of time with PTC.
    http://www.scpconcepts.com

Sorry - I realized you were looking for the "most worthless".....my vote for OneCNC was for a quality piece of CAM software. I am doing prototype and low production stuff, and some wacky stuff carving CNC mountains.....http://www.zcases.homestead.com/photo1.html
    http://www.scpconcepts.com

Oops- I should have made it clear as well- my vote for OneCNC was thumbs up! It's great stuff.

do know the site for OneCNC
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Thanks i will check it out
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

At the factory i work at they use Delcam, Alphacam and a bit of turnplus
    The programers like Alphacam specially for 5 axis milling

We tried tubro Cam but it didn't take off, don't know if that because it crap or just unwilling to take up a new system

Gibbs sucks. Nowhere near as powerful as MasterCam and SurfCam. I've used a number of CAD packages:
    Pro E(powerful but way overpriced)
    UG(cryptic)
    Mech. Desktop(obsolete)
    and CAM packages:
    Gibbs(not even good for beginners)
    MasterCam (arguably the best)
    SurfCam(very similar to MasterCam)
    I'd have to say that Solidworks(Cad) and MasterCam(Cam) are the best overall. Easy to learn and not too cryptic(UG!) There's a reason that these two packages are leaders in the industry.

:cheers:
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

Mastercam is BY FAR the best and most powerful I've used.

Then Gibbs. (Been using it since the Mac days of GibbsNC/CAD/CAM and Dos days of Virtual Gibbs)

Those two I know the best, with many years on each.

Then Cimitron. (Great for surfacing, haven't done much other type of work with it)

Then it's a tossup between things like Geopath, Surfcam, Bobcad and several other's I've used.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)