586,619 active members*
2,423 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking at this machine...

I am about to buy one of these I think. I need to know....

I do a lot of drilling with a 3/4" Silver & Deming drill. I'll use the chuck... not the 5C arrangement. The stock can stick out of the chuck a couple of inches. My question is... does the machine have room to run a job like that... using the 3 jaw chuck, stock out hanging out a couple of inches.... and that S & D 3/4" drill???

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Looking at this machine...

It will do it but it is close. I added the short gang plate to get more room. If I have it in the turret I only have an inch or less depending on stock stick out,

Quote Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
    It will do it but it is close. I added the short gang plate to get more room. If I have it in the turret I only have an inch or less depending on stock stick out,
    Thank you for the input. I guess next week I'll go and look at one. I want the machine... but it must work!! :idea: Thanks again for the help.

I was drilling out some large shafts. It already had a .220 hole so I drilled the first time with a 5/8" and then drilled with a 3/4". It worked well with the gang plate. It gave me enough room with the turret up high. I typically use the 5c because it gives more room for stock. But for holding larger stuff I use the 3 and 4 Jaw chucks. It does not leave much room for drilling off the turret but the gang plate helps alot.

Good Luck !

Quote Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
    I was drilling out some large shafts. It already had a .220 hole so I drilled the first time with a 5/8" and then drilled with a 3/4". It worked well with the gang plate. It gave me enough room with the turret up high. I typically use the 5c because it gives more room for stock. But for holding larger stuff I use the 3 and 4 Jaw chucks. It does not leave much room for drilling off the turret but the gang plate helps alot.

Good Luck !
    Thanks! Since the spindle bore is 1.4" I'll need to look really careful. I use a lot of 1.5 & 1.75" stock ...so the drilling would be a no go for sure. I have been looking at a Haas... I called the HFO in our area and it sounded like I woke him from his nap. So... I called Haas... SAME STORY!!! Couldn't answer a simple question... couldn't operate the phone to get me to anyone else... lost connection 3 times. Ha! I feel like a dog with his tail in his mouth!! Thanks Again. I DO APPRECIATE the help.

The spindle bore is more like 1.52 when using the chuck. I can put 1 1/2 aluminum stock in it and it still has some wiggle room. The bore does get smaller when you use the collet holder. The collet fixturing shrinks it to 1.4 I believe.

Chris

The specs say 1.4" spindle bore with the insert removed. Could be a typo. The chuck has a 1.6" through hole.
    Lee

Doesn't Hardinge sell some collet chucks that can take much larger stock than 5C collets can take? Their Sjogren chucks can be had in models for several different sizes of collets.

Another option to consider might be 5C pot collets which take various diameters of short stock. The ones I've used are machined for size by the operator and I've used them to turn 3-1/8 brass and aluminum stock on my manual lathe while only gripping 1/8-in of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ican View Post

I do a lot of drilling with a 3/4" Silver & Deming drill. I'll use the chuck... not the 5C arrangement. The stock can stick out of the chuck a couple of inches. My question is... does the machine have room to run a job like that... using the 3 jaw chuck, stock out hanging out a couple of inches.... and that S & D 3/4" drill???

Thanks in advance!!
    What's the diameter of your stock, and part length? In short, I would say you should have no problem. I use a chuck, and moved my gang tools to the center slot so they don't stick out much farther than the edge of the tools on the QCTP.

When I have my 5C collet removed and using the 3 or 4 jaw chuck I can put a 1.5" dia bar through the bore. It still has some wiggle room, so it could be 1.6.

That headstock is also a D1-4 style, so the collet chuck you are looking at would have to have a D1-4 back plate for it to mount to the lathe.

Chris

They do its the part number ATL208-B60D4

Looks pretty cool. I wonder how much that chuck costs....

I think in the 3k range

Quote Originally Posted by slammedxonair View Post
    As I have 1.5" parts I need to run all the way through the head stock
    I've got 1.54" through the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ican View Post

Thanks in advance!!
    What is the required HP to run a 3/4" drill in the material you will be working with? You may want to look into that before purchasing.