586,655 active members*
2,919 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question PC to RS232 port software

Does anyone recommend any FREE communication software for a PC to RS232 port? Eventually this company that I am doing work for will have some but I just need something in the short term.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Independent CNC Programmer
    http://www.ctcn.net/~3kings/index.html

www.Cadem.com... Free..
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

You can use Windows HyperTerminal which can be found under accessories/communications on the windows programs list.

Computer to RS232

I guess from your email that you want to use the serrial port (RS232) to communicate with something.

On your Windows system use the Hyperterminal program. Start it with
    START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > COMMUNICATIONS > HYPERTERMINAL.

It works. I have used for years.

Com debug

Easy DNC software is a good communication software and you can download trial package from www.dncxp.com

I am using HyperTerminal for RS-232 PC to CNC communication. I am experiencing a few gliches that I did not expect; one being that I can send to the CNC but when I recieve to the PC I either get a garbaged up text file or what appears to be to many CR's in the file. Anyone else have this problem before? This is on a Fanuc 21-TB control. Anyone sure on the parameter setting I should have? Thanks.

I have found Hyperterminal is not as good as the old Terminal program that came with Win3.1, if you can get a copy of that it is much better.
    Otherwise see here http://www.cadem.com/ncnet/ncnet_dncdetails-41.htm
    Al.

Albert E.

Exclamation HyperTerminal issues

I am using Win 2000 HyperTerminal for a Fanuc 21-T and Mazak M-Plus. On the M-Plus we are having issues where the link will not disconnect and continue to try sending files and sometimes will not overwrite an existing file when sending from CNC to the PC. Anyone else have the same issues?
    On the Fanuc I can get the file to look good in HyperTerminal screen but when I open in Notepad looks like garbage or too many indents (CR's) in the file. Not a problem until I try sending back to the CNC and alarms out the buffer. HELP!

com.

I had this problem and fixed it by changing some of the set up menue in HT Good luck Kevin

Kevin Taylor-

What types of things did you have to change? What machine do you use HT on?

If you're still looking for a "free" solution, try this little app I made a while back.

Scomm
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Matt, Does that run on older Win versions? and do you know of anything for transmitting/recieving binary files, that does not require peliminary codes?
    Al.

Albert E.

Al, it should work except for the transparency function. If it doesn't, I can probably port it to older versions. I originally wrote it in Basic for use on a command line, I don't know if I still have that code, but it should work.

I haven't tried it on binary files, it uses a standard read/write line by line algorithm.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)