586,801 active members*
4,694 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > need help on how to calc the power requirement of some Nema 34 stepper motor

need help on how to calc the power requirement of some Nema 34 stepper motor

I have 4 Motor Type KML091S09E web site

I,m a V=I x R person but know that you can run 10 to 20 X the rated voltage . I need help in understanding how the Inductance effects the power requirement needed to drive the steppers so that I can get the right drivers and power supply.

its a 6 wire stepper
    Current(amps) 4.67
    Voltage(Vdc) 1.78
    Resistance(ohms) 0.382
    Inductance(mH) 1.88

Re: need help on how to calc the power requirement of some Nema 34 stepper motor

From the gecko website:

Vmax = 32*SQRT(L)
    so 32*SQRT(1.88)
    = 43.88V

If inductance is not provided, the voltage per phase can be multiplied by up to 25X to get the supplied Vmax. 25*1.78 = 44.5.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will look at the gecko site again as when I read that my math showed I needed 1090 volts

Re: need help on how to calc the power requirement of some Nema 34 stepper motor

Someone else had a good rule of thumb for power supply sizing on multiple axes of motion - not sure what the number was, but it was each Driver+Motor per axes added together, then multiplied by some fraction (something like 2/3). If I find it I will link it for you.

Next question would be do I have to still have a driver that will run at 5 amps. Someone told me that is a lot. And can I 7se a 48 volt power supply

Thanks

Every stepper driver is different. Either contact the mfgr for a better estimate, read their data sheets, etc... or just over build the power supply. I personally like batteries... you know you have a rock solid supply capable of supplying far more amperage than you will never need. Then use a re-charger to keep them topped up during operation. 36 and even 48 volt mobility cart chargers are available at low cost. Use fuses. And battery boxes.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

I have a 2 - 48 volt charging system that good for 50 amps each - they where used for a backup batter/ UPS system