586,655 active members*
3,001 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How to clean text off of extruded aluminum?

How to clean text off of extruded aluminum?

I've Googled and searched CNC zone.... I've tried cleaners and alcohol.

How do I get the @#$@#$ text off of extruded aluminum? Do I need something like acetone?

Thanks!

-Jeff

try scotch brite pads! This may be too labor intensive though! This is basically going to polish it off. Hope this may help!

Chad

Sorry, I forgot to say I tried those first Too labor intensive.

-Jeff

Look for one of the solvents sold for getting graffiti off or for cleaning off the adhesive residue left by labels. I think one brand is called Goof-Off or something.

Acetone works as does laquer thinner. The ink is (more than likely from what I see) MEK based so using MEK would most appropriate but Acetone or laquer thinner is more readily available as you know.

Carb cleaner works, too.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

I usually use acetone or scotchbrite when I feel ambitious. I think that Lowes has MEK and I know that they carry acetone.

Many times the synthetic coolants will disolve the ink. I have had the lettering running after removing from the machines. I think a strong alkaline cleaner will do the same thing. Wheel cleaner from the parts store will also work.

Quote Originally Posted by ctate2000 View Post
    Many times the synthetic coolants will disolve the ink. I have had the lettering running after removing from the machines. I think a strong alkaline cleaner will do the same thing. Wheel cleaner from the parts store will also work.
    No don't use an alkaline cleaner on aluminum...you will etch the aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    No don't use an alkaline cleaner on aluminum...you will etch the aluminum.

You don't have to leave it on long enough to harm the AL. The cleaner will work fine. Just use common sense.

hangsterfers S-500 coolant will desolve it

Acetone works with very little elbow grease. I weld aluminum on a daily basis, and use acetone on the filler and material to be welded. The ink will wipe right off.

For follow up....

I tried goof-off cleaner... didn't work...

I tired acetone, and that worked GREAT! I've ordered one of those little solvent pump-cap jars to minimize waste and exposure.

Thanks everyone!

-Jeff