586,945 active members*
2,392 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help...mini lathe option

hi all
    new to site and new to metal working but im interested in purchasing a mini lathe and have been looking at this site
    http://users.tpg.com.au/users/p8king/tl4000.htm

my budget is the TL4000, was hoping to get your opinions on both the lathes on this page and main differences.

I'm also going to get the TL6000 milling machine... basically im starting an apprenticeship next year fitter/machinist and basically want these machines to experiment and play around on for learning purposes and whatever else I feel like making.

I will be looking at around the $1200 mark for both of those machines (australian dollars) don't really want to spend much more...i will have to buy tools and the like as extras anyway.

Hi yak, I've been turning for more years than cocky left the egg, and in my opinion these lathes for starting out are just crap.(just my opinion)
    To do any serious work check on Ebay Aus. There is a Colchester bantam that has a current bid price of A$700.
    This lathe is about 125mm c/height by about 1mt between centres, comes with all the usual bits and pieces and a screw-cutting gearbox.
    Although it is three phase it is no big deal to convert to single phase or build a single phase to three phase converter.
    Ian.