587,003 active members*
2,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Vacuum pump/generator help

Vacuum pump/generator help

Im after some advice regarding a vacuum generator/pump for my cnc milling machine.

I want to be able to machine 5-10mm thick ally plates

I spoke to this company in the UK and they recommended this –

Liquid ring pump LSVU10 | Vacuum Tables UK

its look great and all that but I cant afford that sort of money. There are many vacuum pumps on ebay but im unsure if they are suitable or not. what do I need to look at in order to determine if it will do the job or not?

heres some ive seen on ebay

Robinair RA15601 Cooltech Vacuum Pump 240 / 110v | eBay

Becker Vacuum Pump FK80/2-100T. Ref V2107 | eBay

all thoughts welcome

Re: Vacuum pump/generator help

We have successfully used pumps similar to the Robinair for machining. The flow rate will determine how quickly it will draw down and maintain a vacuum. If your part is not flat to begin with it may leak and not draw a vacuum. The Becker is for larger volumes, like a chamber. We heave a Leybold in our vapor degreaser. When machining your fixture..... keep the channels narrow and shallow (1mm wide x 0.5mm deep) to keep the volume low, so it will draw down faster. Also holes to the central cavity (our fixtures were 2 piece) should be as wide as the slot. Remember the O-ring around the periphery. Hope this helps.

thanks for you reply, so are you saying both would work?

what sort of flow rate is an acceptable flow rate?

i was going to use a table that required a mat

GR Series | Product Categories | Vacuum Tables UK

Quote Originally Posted by ALongGuy View Post
    We have successfully used pumps similar to the Robinair for machining. The flow rate will determine how quickly it will draw down and maintain a vacuum. If your part is not flat to begin with it may leak and not draw a vacuum. The Becker is for larger volumes, like a chamber. We heave a Leybold in our vapor degreaser. When machining your fixture..... keep the channels narrow and shallow (1mm wide x 0.5mm deep) to keep the volume low, so it will draw down faster. Also holes to the central cavity (our fixtures were 2 piece) should be as wide as the slot. Remember the O-ring around the periphery. Hope this helps.

Both will work. The Becker would be like driving a bus to pick up a postal stamp. Calculate the internal volume of the fixture(table) you want to use and divide by flow rate of pump. It should be about 1/6 of pump flow. If your milling does not penetrate the work piece.... then mat style should work.

Both will work. The Becker would be like driving a bus to pick up a postal stamp. Calculate the internal volume of the fixture(table) you want to use and divide by flow rate of pump. It should be about 1/6 of pump flow. If your milling does not penetrate the work piece.... then mat style should work.
    perfect just the sort of advice I was after.

this is the actual table I was looing at

Vacuum table VT3020 GR | Vacuum Tables UK

I want to machine all the way through, identical to datron in this video

if the spec of the table doesn't say internal volume how do I know if this pump will be the right one for machining all the way through ally?

Robinair RA15601 Cooltech Vacuum Pump 240 / 110v | eBay

heres the spec of the pump

Robinair RA15601 | Advanced Engineering