586,980 active members*
4,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MPG setup with pncconfig

Hi,

I have 2 mpgs and want to use them both for z and x axis each on a a lathe. I used pncconfig and I'm not getting any movement. I tried editing the hal file manually. What is missing?
    Attachment 286684

Re: MPG setup with pncconfig

hm2_5i25.0.7i84.0.0.enc1.count, raw counts and position signals are all reading in.

Only looking for a simple setup. Jog units corresponding to whats selected on the axis gui no external button components except maybe one switch to enable them.

I'll run pncconfig again and see if I can get a simpler mpg working. If not, does anyone here have a hal example I can copy over? Thanks.

Have you looked at Linuxcnc.org? Not sure how you're hooking up the MPG, but here's a link to the wiki:

LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: Hooking Up A MPG Pendant

wendtmk thanks for the link. Yes I have looked it over. If I'm reading that right, this uses a selector switch for jog increments. How do you set it up without an external selector switch?
    Only using what is selected on the user interface?
    My MPGs are hooked up to the mesa 7i84 and are reading in, so that is working. I have another configuration that works but only spins a selected axis off 1 mpg and I can't do increments on that one either.

Check around the wiki in that area. that was just one of the configs and/or links to other mpg setups on the wiki. I'm not sure how you'd set up your config for what you want to do.

have you joined the LinuxCNC list serv? We get the developers and a lot of smart folks who've done all sorts of things with LinuxCNC there, and they'd probably be able to answer your questions. Another source to consider is the IRC chat. Here's the page with information about that and other things:

Community

I have not joined Linuxcnc list. I'll migrate over there as I will have more questions. Thank you.

I redid my configuration with pncconf and deselected the switch selectable increments. I set the default to .001" and that works. I just wanted to update that. This gives a .001" travel per mpg detent.
    I will ask over at linuxcnc list how to modify hal to get the jog increments from the axis gui to connect to the mpgs. Unless someone here has figured it out....