586,717 active members*
3,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Tool Box Recomendations

Hello to the CNC Zone Crew,

Looking for input from fellow Tormach/home CNC shop folks on which rolling tool boxes to buy. I want to keep the top clear so that I can put some sort of table surface that I can use when I roll it up to the Tormach. Yes, I know a true machinist would only consider a Kennedy but my budget says otherwise.

I am looking for either Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply or Northern Tool......input your suggestions here.....

Similar to:

(1) Nice but kind of pricey and I don't need stainless or electrical outlets but I like the drawer layout
    Shop Kobalt 41-in x 41-in 11-Drawer Ball-Bearing Stainless Steel Tool Cabinet at Lowes.com

(2) More in line with what I'm looking for
    Tactix 40-1/2 in. 14-Drawer Tool Cabinet | TractorSupply

I'm most likely going to buy two of them so price v/s quality is a fine balance point.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Later,
    Awall
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Re: Tool Box Recomendations

Add this one to the mix.... My local store has them in stock so I would not have to pay for shipping.....

Roller Cabinet - 44" Red Rolling Tool Cabinet w/ 13 Drawers

Consider this one from Sams Club.
    Ultra HD 12-Drawer Rolling Workbench @ $429
    Ultra HD 12-Drawer Rolling Workbench - Sam's Club
    You can never have enough tabletop space

-Uman

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post

-Uman
    1 + FOR THE Sams. I have one they are really nice, a little big for my shop but well worth the money plan on an afternoon to build it ,comes un-assembled in flat box .

Mine are a brand called CSPS - picked up at Costco a few years ago. I am really happy with them. Last time I visited they had some nice ones with wood top. Not sure if the same brand or what the prices were, but you may consider taking a look.

Also have you tried your local craigslist? I see nice toolboxes in my area very frequently.

I bought my boxes off Craigslist. They already had a wood top, I shadowed them for my tools and was done. I didn't need a mobile tool box so this setup works really well for me, it was also around half the price of new.
    Attachment 286654

Kevin

I have snapon tool carts but if I was in the market for a new one it would be the Harbor Freight US General Pro boxes. I was just in the store and for the price those are some nice sturdy boxes and every bit as good as my snapon.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Uman View Post

-Uman
    Tormach has several like these in their shop and demo areas - looks like the same maker but they have a smaller footprint and they are similar to this one:

Ultra HD 6-Drawer Rolling Cabinet - Sam's Club

Mike

I am not a fan of HF...

but...

The upper-priced HF tool chests are awesome. They are built of thicker steel and are a higher quality build that puts my two (good quality) craftsman tool chests to shame.

I have this one:
    26 in., 16 Drawer Glossy Red Roller Cabinet Combo
    You an find coupons online to get them for $320. This is awesome because the shallow drawers are perfect for storing endmills and calipers in.

Attachment 286686

Their bigger 44" tool chests are absolute beasts, with 1/8" angle iron sub floors.

Here is a great thread that provides a comprehensive comparison of most of the tool chests on the market:
    Tool chest review - Sears, Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight - The Garage Journal Board
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Get the US general 44" one. You wont be disappointed, but its really actually only 42 inches...They must have included the handle in their measurements. I got mine for $360 with a coupon. They come around every now and then.

Can't help ya, as I'm a KENNEDY guy myself.

Hi,

I have a Kennedy as my main machinist box..... It is a nice heavy duty box but fairly expensive for most folks. However, if I were to buy today, the heavy duty boxes at Harbor Freight would be my selection hands down. I don't think there is a better buy especially if you are close to a store and can pick it up.

Robert

Thanks for all the input folks. I went and picked up two of the 44" chests last night. At something like 245 lbs each, I can tell you there a beast. I spent several hours putting stuff away in them. It's amazing how much stuff these boxes can suck up. I liked them so much that I'm going to head back and pick up two more. Outstanding deal at $369 each till the end of July. Make sure and get the discount sheet from the HF website.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Later,
    Awall

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    Thanks for all the input folks. I went and picked up two of the 44" chests last night. At something like 245 lbs each, I can tell you there a beast. I spent several hours putting stuff away in them. It's amazing how much stuff these boxes can suck up. I liked them so much that I'm going to head back and pick up two more. Outstanding deal at $369 each till the end of July. Make sure and get the discount sheet from the HF website.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Later,
    Awall
    Was thinking when this question was asked long term your going to need a few
    I have a half dozen crapsmen tool boxes That I purchased on sale over the years and need a couple more for future lathe tooling.
    Kind of hard to see in this picture are 2 used for mill tools.
    Attachment 287132

One box for control workstation along with racks for tools and drawers for all the end mills, calipers, pins, blocks and other sensitive tooling. And another for fixtures, vises, t-slot clamps, and other more rugged tooling .
    I make malamine tops with wood edge bands as desired along with side trays and other options. These are more or less easy to replace or modify and customize for utility.
    The green bar in this picture is a trolley track I mounted to ceiling for a overhead electric hf winch.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    The green bar in this picture is a trolley track I mounted to ceiling for a overhead electric hf winch.
    I hear that those little electric HF cable winches reel in/out too fast. How is it working for you?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I hear that those little electric HF cable winches reel in/out too fast. How is it working for you?
    It does the job! I use a snatch block and that cuts speed in half and its easy to add another snatch block to cut speed in half again if needed.
    This is a tool that makes you think I should have installed this 10 years ago it saves a great deal of wear and tear on my hands and back.
    If your looking for a tool that lifts heavy loads with very precise movements "this is not it" for most people. If I want something to hold and place for assembly I would use a different tool like chain or ratchet hoist and this could be rigged to the trolley track also .
    Then again I operated a boom crane for 10 years and understand lifting and rigging operations better then most . Works great to pick sheet goods out of truck setting tools on mill and placing my lawn mower on bench for service

I keep watching craigslist hoping that a nice Coffing SLC 1/8 ton electric hoist will show up. Something like that would be perfect. Lightweight, compact, good control of speed.

I already got the heavy lift down with a 2 ton gantry/3 ton Coffing electric hoist that I got for a song on craigslist. Just not the sort of thing to use to move vises and rotary tables off the mill with.
    Tim

Yep.... I went and picked up two more of these HF tool boxes. Now I have four and feel like I won the World Organizational Championships. Could not be happier with the quality and the price. I will post some photos up once I get them all in place and things shifted around. I'll be looking to put some sort of heavy duty table tops on them that will link together to make a cool (4) top work table. Kind of a tool box island.

Later,
    Awall

When I was looking, I found that Home Depot had a very large selection online, and the prices on many of those were very competitive. IIRC, some were better than HF! The selection at the store is crap, so check out their website.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by whateg01 View Post
    When I was looking, I found that Home Depot had a very large selection online, and the prices on many of those were very competitive. IIRC, some were better than HF! The selection at the store is crap, so check out their website.
    Dave
    For HF..... I'd have to say that these are some pretty nice boxes, hence the reason I purchased 4. Consider that the dry weight of each box is just under 300 lbs! For the money, you cannot go wrong, even if you're just a hobby shop like me.

Page 1 of 2 12