586,969 active members*
3,049 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > The Motion Group CNC 2 amp 3 axis controller

The Motion Group CNC 2 amp 3 axis controller

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and I have been a machinist for about 25 years. I have a question about my TMG CNC 2 amp 3 axis controller, it currently works on an old laptop with windows 98 I would like to make it run on a laptop with Windows XP or newer. Does any one have any experience with this? and does anyone know how to make the modification to it to make it run on the newer software? Any help would be appreciated I use this controller to operate a 2 axis Thompson table that I converted to cnc with ball screws and stepper motors I bolt it to my Bridgeport and use it to machine profiles. it works surprisingly well.

Thanks any help is appreciated

Paul T.

Re: The Motion Group CNC 2 amp 3 axis controller

Hoi Paul,

I don't have any info on the TMC controller. Because you say it's connected to a Windows 98 laptop, I expect it's connected to the parrallel port. If that's the case, you need to know what signals are used on which pins of the connector. Knowing that, you might change it for a USB or Network controller which gives the step and direction signals.
    Other than the two axis, does the laptop control any other stuf ( limmit switches, motor , coolant )
    If you provide more info we might be able to help you.

Hey thanks for the response, Would a picture of the inside of the control help? and yes it is running off the parallel port or printer port. It does have limit switches or home switches but I do not have them connected. I don't think it will control coolant or the spindle. I appreciate the help and I will try to take pictures of it tonight and post them.

Here are some photos of the controller probably won't help. Attachment 286538Attachment 286540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1523.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	286542

Ok, this is what gets me a step further.
    The small board looks like a break out board with optocouplers ( the six bloks with 8 pins each ) these are nice to protect the connected PC port.
    I expect that you can connect this to any new pc / laptop which has a parrallel printer port, so even windows 7 or later should work.
    You need to know which pin on the parrallel port is used for which signal. ( X direction, X step, Y direction, Y step etc. )
    With that information you can connect it to Mach3 or any other program which accepts Gcode and outputs step and direction to the parrallel port.
    These programs are flexibel in configuring the parrallel port pins.
    This way you don't have to change anything on your controller. The computer takes care of the timing, so when machining, don't do other work on the computer

The other way is converting it to USB or Ethernet connection
    This means replacing the small board with a new controller. These have their own program and then you need to know the signal pins on your main board. that's on the three flat cables
    Most of these boards take care of translating the Gcode to Direction and Step. So the computer doesn't have to do much work. All the timing is done on the controller.
    have a look at CNCUSB or USBCNC ( yes these are two different suppliers )

Thanks for your input on this now I need to find some time to get this figured out