586,589 active members*
2,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > New Class 10 manufacturer looking at Bob Cad V27 Mill Pro and Art Pro.

New Class 10 manufacturer looking at Bob Cad V27 Mill Pro and Art Pro.

Getting ready to purchase a Bob Cad Cam V 27 2 & 3D and 2, 3 axis Mill and Art Pro. !/2 day in office training for $2500.00 Does this sound like a good deal? Funds are limited and I am a one man shop right now with three lathes, 2 of them are 3-axis with live tooling and one with subspindle and live tools. My mill is a 3-axis mill. Machined simple products for the Automotive industry and did all my programing at the machines for the last several years. Now looking at much more complicated products that I need Cad/Cam. Any advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated!!

bobcad guy Guest

Re: New Class 10 manufacturer looking at Bob Cad V27 Mill Pro and Art Pro.

well, this answer is an easy one. ANY cadcam package beats hand writing programs, so from this prospective, yes, its a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 40MM View Post
    Getting ready to purchase a Bob Cad Cam V 27 2 & 3D and 2, 3 axis Mill and Art Pro. !/2 day in office training for $2500.00 Does this sound like a good deal? Funds are limited and I am a one man shop right now with three lathes, 2 of them are 3-axis with live tooling and one with subspindle and live tools. My mill is a 3-axis mill. Machined simple products for the Automotive industry and did all my programing at the machines for the last several years. Now looking at much more complicated products that I need Cad/Cam. Any advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated!!
    If that price is including the Lathe module then it`s good, but see below

BobCAD-CAM Lathe does not currently support Mill/Turn machines, another poster did say that BobCAD are bringing out a Lathe Module with driven tool and more than 2 axis machining in July, suggest you get more info on that before you buy if you have the type of lathes listed
    Could save you having to upgrade right after buying

Just a thought

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Normally any upgrades available in the first year after purchase are included in the purchase price. I bought V26 and V27 came out several months later. I got V27 for free. I would assume/hope any Lathe upgrade software would be the same.

That said they didn't provide the BoBArt upgrade, claiming the new version was "a higher level of package with functionality beyond the old version", so I got the new version at a lower level, and the option to "buy up" to the highest package. This was for BobArt only, though.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

I have the BobCAM Pro Mill and Pro Lathe plugin for Solidworks and love it. All CNC program information is embeded within the native Solidworks part file. Of course, this requires a commitment to Solidworks as well if you don't already own it.

How much of the 2500 is the 1/2 day training? I think the 3 day class is $750? From your post it sounds like you have no cad/cam experience, maybe some more extensive training would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben S View Post
    How much of the 2500 is the 1/2 day training? I think the 3 day class is $750? From your post it sounds like you have no cad/cam experience, maybe some more extensive training would be good.
    $650.00 is for 1/2 day. I have been holding the check in hand to see what other options I have. I really appreciate all the help and advice! I think I will try to re-negotiate some more training and also look at the Lathe Pro coming out in July to see if I can get an add-on with this.

The extra value in having the inhouse one is the guy in your shop on your stuff. So your personal decision on what you can handle on your own will help you out.... dig into the post processor and see if you think you can make sense of it on your own. Look at the machine setups and definitions and see if you can relate those to your setups...

I would definitely hold out to see what the Mill/Turn brings. If you are a new user, negotiate hard for a second seat to use at home, unless you are strictly using a laptop.