586,762 active members*
7,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF3SS SMTC Alignment

Hello,

I recently purchased a VF3-SS and I have a question regarding the tool changer.

When the SMTC arm puts a tool into the spindle, it seems like there might be some mis-alignment. It appears that the tool tips sideways when the drawbar clamps. It also looks like the drive dog is clipping the tools slightly.

I put a long drill in as a visual reference and the tip of the drill tilts when the draw bar clamps. It's easiest to see at 100% rapid but is also visual at 5%

Does anyone have some suggestions of what I could check before calling the HFO?

Thank you.

EDIT - added a video, you can see the tool tilt sideways when it goes into the spindle. I'm assuming this is not normal but it doesn't make any bad sounds.

Re: VF3SS SMTC Alignment

If its under warranty, call HFO. Still doesnt hurt to call your HFO tech support to get their input.

That tool change is way to fast for me to see anything in that video.
    You can check the orientation of the spindle drive dogs to the tool change arm. To check physical alignment in X/Y you will probably be better off calling in you HFO service rep to do it as they have special tools specifically for alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    That tool change is way to fast for me to see anything in that video.
    You can check the orientation of the spindle drive dogs to the tool change arm. To check physical alignment in X/Y you will probably be better off calling in you HFO service rep to do it as they have special tools specifically for alignment.
    I will get another video up at slower rapid speeds.
    The machine is under warranty so I will call my HFO, it just takes a bit of time to get someone out. I like to learn how to fix things on my own if it's possible.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by colton_m View Post
    I will get another video up at slower rapid speeds.
    The machine is under warranty so I will call my HFO, it just takes a bit of time to get someone out. I like to learn how to fix things on my own if it's possible.

Thanks.
    Even if it takes a little time, let the HFO fix it if it is under warranty! I am all for learning and DIY jobs but don't go tearing into things while a machine, any machine, is under warranty so as not to give the factory or HFO reason to void any repairs.

Hopefully you get this issue resolved quickly.
    Good luck!

Here's a better video that shows what's happening. Could anyone else with a mill compare and see if the tool change arm flexes like in this video?

Also it seems to leave a mark on my tapers in two spots, I will get a pic up of that when I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnbWpgOEB-Y

As I remember there is about .080/ .100 Z move of the spindle that you dont have. I'll be back Tues.

It looks to me like your spindle isn't quite aligned at tool change. It's maybe a half degree off? Not much, anyway. Just enough that it is catching the edge of the alignment tabs, then popping into place. I'd have the HFO realign it if it is under warranty. It probably just needs the parameter for tool change position readjusted. (I could be wrong about the cause-- best to let a tech take a look at it).

Even if it takes a little time, let the HFO fix it if it is under warranty! I am all for learning and DIY jobs but don't go tearing into things while a machine, any machine, is under warranty so as not to give the factory or HFO reason to void any repairs.

Hopefully you get this issue resolved quickly.
    Good luck!
    I stand behind this statement. Let your HFO handle all warranty work!

I stand behind this statement. Let your HFO handle all warranty work!
    So for anyone else interested, I got the HFO to have a look and the alignment was perfect.

Haas has made a design change with the draw-bar on the newer mills. The spindle no longer jumps up and down that .100" we were talking about. So technically everything was fine, they did change the spindle Z position for tool changes slightly (approx. .03") and everything looks and sounds a lot smoother now.

Quote Originally Posted by colton_m View Post
    So for anyone else interested, I got the HFO to have a look and the alignment was perfect.

Haas has made a design change with the draw-bar on the newer mills. The spindle no longer jumps up and down that .100" we were talking about. So technically everything was fine, they did change the spindle Z position for tool changes slightly (approx. .03") and everything looks and sounds a lot smoother now.
    Glad they got it sorted out for you. :cheers:

Always interested to hear the "fix"
    Interesting to hear that the spindle no longer moves,
    Gary