586,655 active members*
2,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > -->Completed setup minimill-- X,Y ok.. BUT Z-AXIS has problem--- Need advice!!!

-->Completed setup minimill-- X,Y ok.. BUT Z-AXIS has problem--- Need advice!!!

-->Completed setup minimill-- X,Y ok.. BUT Z-AXIS has problem--- Need advice!!!

Hello guys,
    I am using hobbycnc 200oz-in 3 axis drives/motor and I completed mounting 3axis with the mini mill show in the picture. I am running the software with MACH3 and motion seems fine on X-Y axis.

One problem!!! The z-axis when move down seems ok, but when it move up SOMETIMES it lag few steps before it pulling the spindle head pull up.
    I believe the reason might have to do with
    1. Motor 200oz-in is not powerful enough to pull up the spindle head?
    2. Too much friction between coupling at the contact with the motor mount.

This is the first machine I built, so I assume that Mach3 and Driver should be ok and the problem lies mainly on MECHANIC!!!!!

Any advice from experience people?
    Thank you
    Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails miniharborfreight.jpg   z_axisproblem.jpg   z_axiszoom.jpg  

The stock screw has a LOT of backlash.
    Change out for an acme screw - you may be able to use the X-axis lead screw (available from Little Machine Shop)
    Counter weight the head to offset weight.

Aaron

Thats characteristic of backlash, happens both ways but always more noticable on the way up. Will badly affect your accuracy in CNC environment.