586,655 active members*
3,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > PCB milling > Help with determining vacuum pump suitability

Help with determining vacuum pump suitability

Hello!

First off, sorry for posting this here, I just couldn't find an appropriate forum for this question. Perhaps a mod can move it?

I am looking to purchase a vacuum pump for a small vacuum chuck I have designed.

Currently I am looking at this pump.

I have attahced the vacuum chuck in solidworks format, but I will provide what I think are the necessary calculations below.

The vacuum:
    - 3.15 CFM
    - 24" Hg

The chuck:
    - Total area where air can pass from the chuck to the vacuum (holes on the top holding the part): 3.730688in2
    - Tube coupling (holes between part and vacuum, to couple the hoses to the chuck: 0.192in2

What I am worried about (but do not know how to determine) is that the chuck is actually too small (restrictive?) for the pump, and that the pump will heat up or become damaged. Sort of like a blocked vacuum cleaner,

Re: Help with determining vacuum pump suitability

I have similar pump that I use for vacuum veneering. As far as I know that pump is continuous duty and will be fine even if you block the inlet for extended time. The fan cools the motor and if it does overheat there is a over temp switch. I have left mine on over night with no problems.

A standard vacuum cleaner will overheat if blocked because it uses the exhaust air to cool down the motor. Vacuum pump has a built in fan to cool.