586,762 active members*
8,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Replacement Gib for Y Axis of G0704

Replacement Gib for Y Axis of G0704

I purchased a replacement gib for the Y axis of my G0704. The only information provided by technical support from Grizzly was the factory utilizes the process of hand scraping to custom fit them to the mill and then cuts them to the proper length. The replacement gib is approximately 12" long, tapered, smooth finish on both sides, and a notch on one end for the adjustment screw. I have found similar posts on other forums, but no answers in-terms of how someone without the benefit of hand scraping expertise could accomplish the task. I assume you can't simply put the full length replacement gib in, adjust to a reasonable fit by moving the saddle back and forth, and then make marks on the gib in the front/back of saddle as a reference to cut to length. Also, what about the smooth finish in-terms of holding oil? No access to another mill. I would really appreciate some help.

Re: Replacement Gib for Y Axis of G0704

First, there's nothing magic about "Hand scraping".... especially as it relates to this imported mill. I'm glad I tried it and it is a super useful thing to learn, but not really (IMHO) needed to fit the gibs, at least to a functional degree,

I would probably go at it something like this:

Insert , tap it in to a full lock. Mark about an inch on each side and then cut it for a "Ballpark" fit.

Flatten the back side by whatever method you are most comfortable with.... simple coating of magic marker then sanding it flat with sandpaper on a flat surface until the marker comes off evenly will probably suffice here.

Magic marker the sliding side (front) of the gib and then insert it in to the machine and run it a few times. Then take it out and look to see where all the marker is gone. Use something to slightly grind/sand/file the high spots some and try again. When you get it evenly "spotting" the marker end to end and top to bottom and leaving marker on about 50-70% of the surface you should be set. As to oil retention, I wouldn't worry to much unless you get a finely sanded/polished finish.

Cut and notch to length with hacksaw and files.

That being said, you can make a pretty darn effective scraper for a small job like this from nothing more than an old file, and a bit of glass or granite would work fine for a surface plate. Pretty much anything you can do to refine the surfaces and make them better is going to improve the overall fit of the machine. Even very sloppy methods or "crappy" scraping like mine is way better than how it likely shipped, LOL.

So, that's my take on it.
    Q: How many tools does it take before a simple task becomes a project?
    A: Just one. I'm the Tool that turns a simple task in to a project.