586,637 active members*
2,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > LinuxCNC and HSMXpress.. Z axis keeps moving above part and machining air..

Question LinuxCNC and HSMXpress.. Z axis keeps moving above part and machining air..

Hey Guys,

So I have successfully engraved a piece of wood with LinuxCNC (the default gcode that comes up in linuxCNC) however after designing a part, post processing with EMC in hsmxpress and setting the start path etc.. my z axis jumps up 25mm and starts trying to do the work 25mm above the part. Im thinking its something with the post processor. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what were the steps they took to get around it?

I had made a little more complex part to begin with, failing that, I ended up just making a box with a cutout and it still does the same thing. I have attached the solidworks part (zip file as a SLDPRT file isnt supported to be uploaded.. weird) along with the gcode (again .ngc isnt supported, so .txt it is..) . Would anyone who is more educated in this area care to take a look please?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

SR
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: LinuxCNC and HSMXpress.. Z axis keeps moving above part and machining air..

My guess would be your tool length offsets. (G43)
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: LinuxCNC and HSMXpress.. Z axis keeps moving above part and machining air..

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    My guess would be your tool length offsets. (G43)
    thanks heaps for the reply, I think your 100% right, .. when I setup my tooling, I set most of the lengths of the tool to be 25 to 50mm.. them homing the z axis from the tool touching the workpiece. So it makes perfect sense. Such a newbie mistake.. My idea was after each tool change to keep homing the z axis.. should I continue to do this but set the tool length offset to be 0mm?

Actually, I think it would be better practice to home the z axis without a tool in it and measure the correct tool lengths, the problem is with this is I only have 1 arbour and a 63mm facemill so if i change the endmill then it will set it at a different height eachtime.. this is why I see people with a few arbours with different tools in them...

thanks again..