587,047 active members*
2,695 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

what's the g-code for color?

I am wondering how color is represented in g-code after conversion from an amf file.
    For example, just like a straight linear movement is represented in g-code as G1 Xnnn Ynnn Znnn Ennn Fnnn Snnn. How is the red green blue (rgb) color code read in g-code by a 3d printer in a section?

Re: what's the g-code for color?

G code does not work with colours.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Probably however the OEM designs it... I would suspect if the printer can print three colors then there are 3 different feed motors? If so, each motor will be an additional "axis" on the machine, and by activating the proper motor to move, the right color will be selected. Color in and of itself is not referenced, but the control behind the color is. As stated, standard GCode had no idea what "color" even means...

Alternatively, maybe there is just a relay and the active color is selected by relay. That way, any of the colors can be driven by the same motor command, but the relay will "select" which color is active.

These are only 2 of MANY ways the OEM can choose to handle something like this, so with no further information about the specific system you are referring to, all we can do is guess at what they might have done...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

I think he just asked differently as we expect

the RGB in many program shows the XYZ in order..so if you see universal manipulator, then it use to be used for easier identification..

the meaning gcodes refer movement on an axis..

I think he may be referring to the contours as they appear on a CAD system screen ie ToolPath from Enroute
    where the red / blue colours represent the "closed" shape and "direction" of cut of the profile ( which side the cutter would be compensate to )
    green would represent an "open" contour

But, then again....just looked up the .amf extension LINK
    - section 7 (COLOR SPECIFICATION) has a little info, seems it may just be graphical perspective shadings to make it look good on-screen

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I think he may be referring to the contours as they appear on a CAD system screen ie ToolPath from Enroute
    where the red / blue colours represent the "closed" shape and "direction" of cut of the profile ( which side the cutter would be compensate to )
    green would represent an "open" contour

But, then again....just looked up the .amf extension LINK
    - section 7 (COLOR SPECIFICATION) has a little info, seems it may just be graphical perspective shadings to make it look good on-screen
    I doubt it, as he specifically mentioned the use in a 3D printer. But he never posted back in the thread, so maybe we will never know....
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    But he never posted back in the thread, so maybe we will never know....
    Happens all too often........start with a vague request & leave it hanging .:tired:

Thank you for your help guys. You very much answered my question. I wanted to know how a 3d printer is able to convert the colors in an amf file into g-code.