586,596 active members*
3,096 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

upgrade from Mach3

I've used Mach3 with smoothstepper for quite a while now and find it sort of glitchy. It just does some weird things sometimes and I don't really trust it. Plus I don't like the user interface, it's clunky.

I'm getting a new piece of equipment that will operate very long jobs and I really need to trust my controller board and software.

So I'm looking at other options for controller software that area a step up from Mach3. Need something smooth, fast, lots of look-ahead, very robust, 5-axis capable, and and with a GUI that's easy to use. Affordability isn't at the top of my list but it needs to be at least reasonably priced.

Ideas?

Re: upgrade from Mach3

Quote Originally Posted by HalfRhoVSquared View Post
    I've used Mach3 with smoothstepper for quite a while now and find it sort of glitchy. It just does some weird things sometimes and I don't really trust it. Plus I don't like the user interface, it's clunky.

I'm getting a new piece of equipment that will operate very long jobs and I really need to trust my controller board and software.

So I'm looking at other options for controller software that area a step up from Mach3. Need something smooth, fast, lots of look-ahead, very robust, 5-axis capable, and and with a GUI that's easy to use. Affordability isn't at the top of my list but it needs to be at least reasonably priced.

Ideas?
    I am not familiar with other controller products but I have used Mach3 with my DIY CNC for years without issues. I know of many users of Mach3 with smoothsteppers without issue as well.

I think if it were the software causing the glitches it would relate to your computer platform's hardware integrity OR your CNC machines wiring integrity. Wiring integrity would be things like connectors, terminal block connections, electrical noise sources spiking into stepper motor control signals, etc. Computer hardware would be things like USB port controllers, CPU cooling, other software running that may draw CPU cycles from Mach3, like anti-virus software ( a really bad player with CNC controller software), or other software that is interrupt driven.

Just some thoughts to consider....

Best,
    airnocker
    Everything depends on everything else

I asked the same question a little while back. Take a look at the replies at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-software.html

Ger listed most of the good options. I looked at Flashcut and I think it is probably the best of the options I have seen.

I really would like to try Mach 4 with my Smoothstepper. One of these days I will get a chance to load it up. My biggest issue switching to it so far is that it won't work with my XHC MPG.

"So I'm looking at other options for controller software that area a step up from Mach3. Need something smooth, fast, lots of look-ahead, very robust, 5-axis capable, and and with a GUI that's easy to use. Affordability isn't at the top of my list but it needs to be at least reasonably priced."

IF what you say above is true, then you should look at WinCNC. WinCNC is the gold standard for PC based CNC controllers. They can provide every component from the PC & Monitor, PCI controller card & daughterboard, cabling and at least 2 levels of I/O capability. Real matched products from a brick and mortar store with live tech support for both hardware and software. I am on my 3rd machine, and have been totally impressed with the stability over my previous USB comm chain. Speeds are max 75K/sec times 6 axes. Easily customized screensets.

Gary

Looking at the WinCNC web site it is interesting that with all of the examples they show they have routers, but do not show any milling machine applications. I don't know if that is necessarily an issue, but it does make me wonder how many of their systems are installed on milling machines and if they can also do a lathe. Does their software have all of the functions you would use on a milling machine that you might not use on a router such as coolant on/off, air on/off, spindle forward and reverse, probably some others that are not coming to mind at the moment? Looks like spindle speed control and digitizer are options. Searched MPG in the manual and no hits so I don't know if it works with an MPG. It is a PCI card, not USB or ethernet control so that is a consideration.

Not trying to knock the software that I know very little about, just bringing up questions I would have if I was evaluating it.

the company's need to get there a into g with pendents I ask vista weeks and weeks ago they told me working on it, hell Homann Designs M4 plug`s almost finished being tested.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]