586,945 active members*
2,321 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Decimal point placement

Another question When I am programing and I enter a positional value without a decimal it moves to the 10th position. If I input for a travel of 50mm the machine moves .5 mm. Same thing with feed rate. I found a mention of formatting attributes in my control book but it doesn't make sence. It says

(No decimal)

format X1

Where do I put this value? I hope that this is a setting I can enter once and be done with it. Thanks...Tim

I have worked on a VF-3 and a TM-1. On both machines if you want 5ipm you have to type F5. If you want to enter an axis move you need to enter for example X5.

I have also had the same issue present itself to me with what you are talking about so I just made a mental note to always enter the decimal at the end of any axis moves or feed moves. this also applies if you want to change an offset by an even amount say like 1 inch, you have to enter 1. into the control. For Example, you need to take a zero off of a fixture and then move up 1.0000" to compensate for stock thickness. If you actually entered 1 in the control and moved up 0.0001" you could have BIG problems.

Hope this helps

I think I'll just have to get used putting the decimal point in. I work metric so 5mm becomes .5mm. PITA but I'll have to get used to it. I would think that there is some sort of parameter or something that would change this. Thanks Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekh View Post
    I think I'll just have to get used putting the decimal point in. I work metric so 5mm becomes .5mm. PITA but I'll have to get used to it. I would think that there is some sort of parameter or something that would change this. Thanks Tim
    I hope 5mm becomes 5.mm

I think you can enter numbers without the decimal if you use trailing zeroes. I believe the Haas control assumes four figures after the decimal, I program in inches and I think 10000 will enter as 1.0000, 500 enters as .0500, 6875 enters as .6875 I find it easier to use the decimal.

I can't think which one now but I belive there is a setting for where it assumes decimal points for numbers without. Although I prefer to just get used to putting in decimal points

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMach View Post
    I can't think which one now but I belive there is a setting for where it assumes decimal points for numbers without. Although I prefer to just get used to putting in decimal points

JP
    Setting 77 Scale Integer F is the only one I have found that allows you to set how a number without a decimal will be interpreted, however, it only applies to the F address code.

There are five settings:
    DEFAULT - F12 is .0012 units/minute
    INTEGER - F12 is 12.0 units per minute
    .1 - F12 is 1.2 units per minute
    .01 - F12 is .12 units per minute
    .001 - F12 is .012 units per minute
    .0001 - F12 is .0012 units per minute

The Haas manual recommends that a decimal point is always used.

There does not seem to be anything similar for X, Y and Z values.

.... 1.2, .01 ... .12,