586,745 active members*
6,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > SprutCAM 10 Release

SprutCAM 10 Release

Has anyone heard any word on when SprutCAM 10 is due to be released? According to wikipedia, they are saying this summer, anyone able to confirm/deny that? Looking to purchase soon, and if it's that soon, may just wait.

Zach

Re: SprutCAM 10 Release

I would wait
    If you have a use for it now I would not wait.
    If your not a current user it might take you that long to learn much of it.
    Sprutylicious

I don't know about other distributors, but SprutCAMAmerica has been reported to use a sliding scale on upgrade pricing, so that recent buyers of the older version pay a lower upgrade fee than those who bought long ago. Check with your reseller and see what their policy is on upgrade pricing.

Mike

I just purchased SC9 from Tormach barely 2 weeks ago. You may want to check directly with them what is the status, but back when I checked, they didn't have SC10 in the outlook yet. I had also seen the Wiki and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to buy into obsolete SW. Although I didn't have much of a choice. It was either get SC9 or look at how awesome the PCNC1100 looks while it holds my house down.

If SC10 is in fact released over the summer, I imagine Tormach's version will take a little longer to be released.
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    I Although I didn't have much of a choice. It was either get SC9 or look at how awesome the PCNC1100 looks while it holds my house down.

This is also my opinion for the most part! I think my tormach or pretty much most cnc machines are ship anchors without good cam software to drive them. Imho with no cam software you might as well use manual machines with dro's and turn handles to make stuff. I do all my turning of handles setting at my computer workstation and I can turn 4 handles at a time hard to do in real life with only two hands.

What I have seen us that sc America waits a good long while for bugs to shake out before they release it. Almost a
    Year before 9 was officially released in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Dude View Post
    I just purchased SC9 from Tormach barely 2 weeks ago. You may want to check directly with them what is the status, but back when I checked, they didn't have SC10 in the outlook yet. I had also seen the Wiki and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to buy into obsolete SW. Although I didn't have much of a choice. It was either get SC9 or look at how awesome the PCNC1100 looks while it holds my house down.

If SC10 is in fact released over the summer, I imagine Tormach's version will take a little longer to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    What I have seen us that sc America waits a good long while for bugs to shake out before they release it. Almost a
    Year before 9 was officially released in the U.S.
    Ya then there goes your purchase that was "early" or within a time frame.

But looks like its not out and its almost mid november!

I did see some of the new features not many but at least 1 is really interesting and I wonder how well the update model works, does it work if I scaled the whole thing? Will my processes remember the faces that were similar before? or at least the ones that did not change?

When working with prototypes or even production parts, many times there are parts that are 80-90% alike, but are different in few areas, having to import a new model breaks all the tool paths, even if you bring in again exact same model with some rendering done, everything ends up with a ?

A real smart feature would be to recognize old prefetched geometry data and then some how adapt it to current, that would be such a time saver as you would not have to start over with that model.

Sometimes I found that importing more then one model and just switching between them the different work processes on different models, but that creates issue of previous operation machine data being missing... Sometimes its not an issue on finishing operations, but on roughing that is a problem as the software thinks there is new material again and wants to machine that lol, lots of tricks can be done with fixture and using different operation, such as finish for roughing in repeated steps :/

[QUOTE=drutort;1785674 Sometimes its not an issue on finishing operations, but on roughing that is a problem as the software thinks there is new material again and wants to machine that lol, lots of tricks can be done with fixture and using different operation, such as finish for roughing in repeated steps :/[/QUOTE]

I find using Complex operations, Drive's and Finishing planes are the best way to handle what you are describing...yup more tomfoolery, but the computer is dumb to reality. I just have to remember to be sure to tell it where the top and bottom really are LOL! It's like playing the fixture game of adding them back and taking them away from operation to operation- now it machines the area, now it doesn't. I have lots of 1/4 x 20 washers washers that look like sprockets now thanks to that game....uh oh got a little closer than I thought I would :-).

I have never used finishing plane like that. Can you show how you do that in more detail? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    I find using Complex operations, Drive's and the Finishing planes are the best way to handle what you are describing...yup more tomfoolery, but the computer is dumb to reality. I just have to remember to be sure to tell it where the top and bottom really are LOL! It's like playing the fixture game of adding them back and taking them away from operation to operation- now it machines the area, now it doesn't. I have lots of 1/4 x 20 washers washers that look like sprockets now thanks to that game....uh oh got a little closer than I thought I would :-).

When I am talking about this approach I am referring to version 7. I don't know if the operations are identical in the later version. The trick is that the finishing plane doesn't specify a maximum cutting depth allowable where the roughing plane will try to take multiple Z layer passes to your maximum defined depth of cut for the end mill. You can tell Sprut where the top and bottom are for the features that you want to machine and it will try to machine at that bottom level in a single toolpath with the finishing plane operation. So if you changed an angle or a floor to be deeper than what you had previously machined in a part you would simply import that new model geometry, select the new feature (face) using the finishing plane operation and Sprut will not try to generate multiple Z level roughing tool paths where there really isn't any stock anyhow. You might not always get the "green check", but if you watch the simulation and look for gouges it gives you the real world result.

I don't fully grasp what your refering to. But one of my other big grips is the selection square, I mean the option to select things with the mouse.

the issue is that it selects everything! if you have 2nd op or side ops, it will select everything that is visible to the machining surface and everything through the whole part!!!! that drives me nuts, It would make sense to have smart selection tool to be able to just select things on the visible surface or to define the depth of selection or something that you can do to limit selecting everything through the whole part!

some 3d work is a pain to keep clicking and selecting all the faces, and double click does not join them even if they are next to each other when dealing with faces

That's a good point and a depth or adjacent selection "snap" would be a time saver. I've gotten to the point where I start thinking about what Sprut needs to be more efficient for me while I'm doing my CAD work. Features that I know are going to be machining families I group and throw in different layers. That way when I import the .IGES files I have all the layer descriptions right there. I learned early that this was REAL helpful with 2D contour operations and obviously for hole machining. Having groups of closed curves really helps you set them up quickly and not have to play with the outside/inside the line and offset parameters 15 times to machine one feature.