586,308 active members*
3,635 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Can Bobcad pocket an angle

Can Bobcad pocket an angle

I have a part I need to cut an angle pocket in. The way we do it now is to set it up on an angle vise.
    I was wondering if there is a way in BC (v26 build 1335) to have it profile the pocket setting boundaries for the angle I need. I have tried all sorts of ways but can not get it figured out. If I try 3 axis I get nothing.
    Picture worth a thousand word so I attached my file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Can Bobcad pocket an angle

I am getting an error when I try to open your file but are you trying to cut a pocket with draft angle, i.e. tapered walls? Bobcad can certainly do that. Is there any 3D geometry in your part? In the preview that Windows shows me of your file I see only lines. You can not create 3D tool paths from lines and arcs, only surfaces or solids.

Yes, you can but it will take some time using a 3D toolpath system, you will need to create surfaces for the geometry, see the attached file, also created in Build 1335 so you should be able to open it OK.

This is just one method to give you an idea of what can be done, have a play around with it just for fun while you get the job done the "old" way a lot quicker

Be real easy if you had a 4th axis on your machine, a few minutes of a job

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:
    Attached Files Attached Files

That is exactly what I am trying to do.
    I only am using 2D so I guess that is my problem. Here is a screenshot.
    Do I have to redo all of this, or is there an easy way to make my layout into a solid.
    Screenshot attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

For 3D you do have to surface the shape as per the file I sent you, also what I did to make it faster was to pocket out the size of the smallest rectangle, the bottom one to full depth, then I ran the simulation and sved the cut out stock as an STL file which I then used as the new stock for the 3D so it only had the area left by the first roughing pocket to finish off, if you want a really good finish then you will have to run very small stepovers on the finish cut and it can take a long time

Just copy the surfaces I did from my file and put them in your own if you want to, but the file I did was complete and only needed some "tweaking" for feeds, speeds, stepovers etc, etc. Enjoy

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Very Cool!
    I just learned another thing new. I did not know I could save the stock after simulation. I found the CutSim tab and .....
    Shoot, now you really have me thinking how can I hold this without a vise. I do have a 4th axis, but no table (chuck and center only). There is a lot more to this part and I can save 3 setups.
    Now I not only have to learn what you have sent me, but I have some brainstorming to do. and more features to learn!

I think I am going backwards (the more I learn the more I realize I don't know)..

Thank you again for all of your help. You have replied to not only this but other questions I have posted.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhushf View Post
    Here is a screenshot.
    Do I have to redo all of this, or is there an easy way to make my layout into a solid.
    Sounds like Engine has you going, but to answer this, you can run "cross section" on just the upper and lower profiles (Eliminate the vertical ones)... Planar cap both ends or shell as needed... Pretty quick...