586,409 active members*
3,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > cant figure out a cutting strategy for this part

cant figure out a cutting strategy for this part

hey guys, ive been beating my head up trying to figure out how to cut this, i have figured out how to cut it without that side tab...but with it on the side i cannot get a succesful cut... if some one would like to give me a hand so i can see how you went about it, id sure appreciate, id be more than happy to let anyone who wants use it...its for the larger nema 23motors... i have lots of time on my hands cuz i burned out my kbic on the 0704... and am going straight to a/c--vfd/belt conversion with the help of another individual..

rick
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: cant figure out a cutting strategy for this part

It seems pretty straight forward. Is it a problem of fixturing? Does the tab need the fillet edge? Can the tab be made separately and bolted or welded on?

im having trouble with coming back with the ball mill to finish the top of the tab where it is curved so theres a nice curve to it instead of steps left by the adaptive ...i think my biggest problem is figuring out which edges to select for which cutting strategy

It looks like a 3D contour will cut it nicely. Use the largest ball mill you have with a small stepdown. Alternatively, you could fashion a cutting tool on the lathe out of O1 or W1 drill rod with the correct radius. Mill 2 to 4 teeth in it and then harden it (or just buy the correct size cove end mill). I'd mill the tab first, the rotate the workpiece and finish milling the pockets and contour.

it looks like i still have alot to learn lol ill give it a shot thank you sir

so when i turn the part over to cut the pockets i need to offset the stock to exclude the tab ,,,,, so the facing procedure wont face straight through the tab... i tried choosing selected contour for the model bottom on the facing setup.. so i could coose the contour directly under the tab but it wont let me...

is the answer offsetting the stock to exclude the tab area

Try using a pocket operation instead of a facing operation on just the top face.