586,589 active members*
2,459 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Centroid 4th axis not finding home on CNC10 M-39

A few weeks ago I hooked up the 4th axis. The previous owner never used it. It went round a bit and eventually stopped but never found home. Turned out the belt was bad, it had deteriorated with age, so I ordered a new one. I installed the new belt today. Unfortunately, I have the same issue. It passes right over the home switch like it isn't even there. I checked the switch and wiring back to the control board. It tested good, normally closed, like the other limit switches. I then verified the switch assignment in the software. It's using NP #8 on the board and assigned 8 in software. I suspect something isn't setup right but I've looked in all the obvious places. Is there someplace I can watch or check the switch state?

For right now I set the home switch to 0 and it sets the current (random) location as home on boot up. Not ideal but better than the endless hunting for home.

Re: Centroid 4th axis not finding home on CNC10 M-39

In CNC10, you can press Alt-i at the main screen to display PLC diagnostics. The top line of red and green dots represents your PLC inputs.

INP8 would be the 8th dot on the top line. Closed = Green, Open = Red. Watch what happens as you jog the rotary table through the home switch.

The action during homing is determined by whatever is written into the "cnc10m.hom" macro file. If your switch is working correctly (usually Green, briefly Red as the axis passes through it) then post here with the contents of your cnc10m.hom file.

Quote Originally Posted by cncsnw View Post
    In CNC10, you can press Alt-i at the main screen to display PLC diagnostics. The top line of red and green dots represents your PLC inputs.

INP8 would be the 8th dot on the top line. Closed = Green, Open = Red. Watch what happens as you jog the rotary table through the home switch.

The action during homing is determined by whatever is written into the "cnc10m.hom" macro file. If your switch is working correctly (usually Green, briefly Red as the axis passes through it) then post here with the contents of your cnc10m.hom file.
    Thanks for the alt-i trick. That's exactly what I needed. The switch shows open (red). Unfortunately it doesn't change state even when pushing the button. I suspect I must have a wiring issue someplace. I took a picture in case I'm not looking at the correct dots. See the yellow arrow I put on the image. I also snapped a photo of the motor setup.

This is my cnc10m.hom file:
    M92/Z
    M26/Z
    M91/X
    M26/X
    M92/Y
    M26/Y
    M91/B
    M26/B
    Attachment 273298
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1163[2].jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	273300

I checked the wiring in the cabinet again. The indexer was labeled R and G by someone in the past corresponding to the wire colors. This must have been done by the previous owner. There are 8 leds the show the limit switch state. I tried a jumper from 8 to common. No change with the leds or the control. Does the input need to be enabled someplace?

Name:	IMG_1164[1].jpg 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	273408

Name:	IMG_1165[1].jpg 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	273410

The six LEDs on the 15/15 PLC board do not indicate the status of any individual inputs. They are status indicators for the fiber optic communication like with the CPU board.

If you are positive that your first six inputs are working (PLC diagnostic display shows green when closed, and red when open); and you are positive that you connected a reliable jumper connection between INP8 and any one of the input COMMON terminals, and the INP8 indicator remained red, then you have a failed input on your PLC board. You can get the board repaired or exchanged by Centroid, for around $450. Alternately, if that is the only failed input, you could just use a different available input (e.g. INP9) for your rotary axis home switch.

I moved the input to input 9 and the home switch is now working. Input 8 still shows green even though it's now disconnected. I suspect the input on the board is likely bad. I'll run it like this for a while and see how it goes.