Thinking of buying a SpectraLight mill and wondering what one is worth that needs a bit of work. It's said to have updated motor drivers but isn't fully working, mechanically in good condition. I am new to CNC but not to electronics so getting it running shouldn't be too bad even if I have to replace some electronics bits. Down the road I would like to have a CNCed G0704 for some steel milling and a bit bigger work but this seems pretty good to get started and learn software and tools without taking up much space. If and when I move to a bigger machine I figure I can sell it. Or am I going to put so much money/time in other tooling that I should just go for the bigger mill to start?

I have read that at least some had unipolar step motors originally and I think the bipolar motors are preferred - some of the upgrades mention changing to bipolar steppers. Anyone know what motors they came with originally?

Any thoughts? What sort of things should I be looking for or looking out for when I look it over? I have a fair amount of general machine experience but none with mills.