586,822 active members*
3,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Turn/Mill Problems.

Hi to you all, I have recently been asked to look at the programming of our Turn/Mill machine tool as we have been experiencing a few problems with it. I have experience with milling and turning but this is the first time I have been involved with Turn/Mill.

First off, could some one explain the difference between Turn/Mill and Mill/Turn machines?

Next thing is the problems we have been experiencing are all related to milling features on the front face of components. We have Feature Cam 2015 and I hoped to use this software to program the machine but unfortunately the strategies in Feature Cam don't seem to be appropriate for our machine. This is due to Feature Cam using a C axis (spindle) and X axis combination when machining features and the fact that some of our components are over 4000 lbs in weight, program a circular contour and it sometimes resembles a elipse. I am quite sure this is due to lag/sag between the controller and spindle.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of problem before? Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

PS, I am getting around the problem by using X,Y axis cutting in a sub program and then rotating C to the next feature and calling the sub program again, all manually programed. This is ok but sort of defeats the object of having a CAM system.

Re: Turn/Mill Problems.

First off, could some one explain the difference between Turn/Mill and Mill/Turn machines?
    Turn / Mill is primarily a lathe that has a milling capability eg Mazak Integrex, Okuma MacTurn (images)

Mill / Turn is a machining centre that has a rotary table that can spin fast enough for a turning operation eg DMG 80 FD, Okuma MU500 ....(images)

We have Feature Cam 2015 and I hoped to use this software to program the machine but unfortunately the strategies in Feature Cam don't seem to be appropriate for our machine. This is due to Feature Cam using a C axis (spindle) and X axis combination when machining features and the fact that some of our components are over 4000 lbs in weight, program a circular contour and it sometimes resembles a elipse. I am quite sure this is due to lag/sag between the controller and spindle.

PS, I am getting around the problem by using X,Y axis cutting in a sub program and then rotating C to the next feature and calling the sub program again, all manually programed. This is ok but sort of defeats the object of having a CAM system.
    X Z & C axis capability is only 3 axis, You need to be able to do 4 axis....possibly 5,,,,these being a Y and B ( B = able to tilt the tool holder ie machine an angled face )
    - Featurecam looks as if it can do 5 axis turn LINK,
    - but don't forget to add a customised post..... ($$$)

Re: Turn/Mill Problems.

You need customized Post Processor. By default is ZX plane as turn. Milling mode includes all other planes plus polar coordinates plus B , Y , C axis depends from the model plus many many other fanctions. Try to run the machine as turn and you will find the mill by the time