586,860 active members*
3,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Alphacam > letters destroyed by Alphacam
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

letters destroyed by Alphacam

Every time I try to do a pocket operation with the letters raised above the surface, at least 1, usually 2 letters will get chewed up. The tool path will look correct and the simulator will run correctly but when the job is ran it will get thrashed. Typically, I can edit the nodes out of the problem letter and that fixes it but it's very time consuming, freehand editing is very difficult in Alphacam. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and how they get around it.

Re: letters destroyed by Alphacam

Hi
    Can you post a picture of the piece and or the programme ? It would help a lot to know exactly what`s going on.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Routerfiend View Post
    Hi
    Can you post a picture of the piece and or the programme ? It would help a lot to know exactly what`s going on.
    Regards

what type of file? I tried to upload the .ard, .pgm and the .xxl but they are invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by jooooooe View Post
    what type of file? I tried to upload the .ard, .pgm and the .xxl but they are invalid.

picture #3 is a showing what happens when I begin deleting nodes around the problem area, it usually works but I end up having to re-shape the letter.

Hi, Jooooooe - please try to send me a message - I'm pretty sure, that I can answer You

taking note of whats been said, I decided to compare text exported from Aspire to Alphacam with text in Alphacam from Alphacam. You can see that the text from Alphacam is broken at the arcs in several places, but the text from Aspire is not. I posted and ran the text from the Aspire import and got a successful carving shown in the picture. This would lead me to believe that the PP is not completely at fault, am I right?

Which postprocesor you use? Send me postprocesor and ard file and i fix it. If you create ZIP from this it will be ok.

What CAD system created the letters/numbers ?

I have seen similar "un-closed" contours when the DXF export version was not compatible with the toolpathing software when you import
    ie polylines, splines not well supported

If you imported a DXF to get the shapes, try having the DXF export as early as R12

Any X's on a profile means a break,... not desired.

Older bobcad used to do the same thing to me. It is a issue with how arcs are output. It will create circles at certain points instead of transitioning to the next arc correctly. It would do this even when drawing the letters in bobcat. It turned out to be a pp issue. Really sucks though.

Ben

I have similar problem with Alphacam and SCM. I suppose that you have also machine from SCM group (as you wrote extension pgm, xxl). It was postprocesor problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroslav4 View Post
    I have similar problem with Alphacam and SCM. I suppose that you have also machine from SCM group (as you wrote extension pgm, xxl). It was postprocesor problem.

According to Alphacam, it is a post processor issue, today I'm waiting for SCM to contact me to see if I can have the PP adjusted correctly. Does anyone know if this is corrected across the whole range or will I always have some kind of issue when I use custom shapes or fonts? Should I consider another program for doing sign work? I have Aspire also but we purchased it through Vero so it doesn't include its own nesting/posting ability like the version your purchase from Vetric...which I'm beginning to think was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by jooooooe View Post
    According to Alphacam, it is a post processor issue, today I'm waiting for SCM to contact me to see if I can have the PP adjusted correctly. Does anyone know if this is corrected across the whole range or will I always have some kind of issue when I use custom shapes or fonts? Should I consider another program for doing sign work? I have Aspire also but we purchased it through Vero so it doesn't include its own nesting/posting ability like the version your purchase from Vetric...which I'm beginning to think was a mistake.
    I do not think that problem will be repeat with new font or geometry. Alphacam is normally use for this machine. I think that after modyfing pp will be everything ok.

I`m inclined to agree that it`s most likely a PP issue as the toolpaths in alphacam look sound. Unless there are phantom toolpaths present that are not showing up. I have had the odd foul from time to time but it`s usually a z plunge that causes me the most problems. Also as superman pointed out the geometry looks like its full of breaks which surprises me that you were able to actually toolpath the geometry??

It can be a problem, if some elements are to small (then the Xilog can be very odd, if the postprocessor don't ignore these)..
    the solution is to convert the Geometry to Lines and arcs (normally a tolerance of 0,1mm I ok) then everything is ok..

those "X" and without X I think they show where the node is ""on"" or off..
    it just like in fonteditors..
    some point is along the vector some point is off from vector.. but they all need to describe the vector...

of course nodes can be deleted, and keep the original curve with a tolerance..

another thing is the wood sample and toolpath preview looking different..

look for the picture.. there should be a slight S curve the """B""" letter front.. but its a vertical straight line on the wood
    that toolpath preview is not what the wood was cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.jpg   01.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    those "X" and without X I think they show where the node is ""on"" or off..
    it just like in fonteditors..
    some point is along the vector some point is off from vector.. but they all need to describe the vector...

of course nodes can be deleted, and keep the original curve with a tolerance..

another thing is the wood sample and toolpath preview looking different..

look for the picture.. there should be a slight S curve the """B""" letter front.. but its a vertical straight line on the wood
    that toolpath preview is not what the wood was cut.

yea, I've done the node editing thing and my only question about that is, can Alphacam possibly make it any more dysfunctional than it is? I mean, I do node editing in Corel Draw and it's so easy but Alphacam has made what should be a simple task way too difficult to bother with... Why?

I cant comment on alphacam..
    another day I downloaded the trial from their website.. but after some try I just sticked what I have..

in my opinion, alphacam beween the known camprograms and the other side the engraving programs.. but its only my opinion..

converting fonts that could fill a book..

when I draw example a circle with 4 node on the quadrants, it will be 4 nodes Bezier first, then within conversion to ttf will be added 4 extra node what is refer the ""midpoint"" of the 4 quad of circle.. and those will be """off"" vector nodes..

this is the reason so many modes within alfabets.. (letters)

im not sure whats going on but looks within toolpath generating for your machine the beziers or curves converting to arcs..

can you make conversion from curves to arcs with alphacam? you might have better result or no destroyed letters..

most possible the program somehow ""negating"" the arcs..

and am sorry to say, but you might need another cam.. if I were you I would ask delcam..

unless your machine has 5th axis, what I cant imagine with scm router.. unless that I think artcam express will do all task for you..
    express cost $150... you cant model with, but you can import models if you need some relief..
    it might replace for this money all your program..

delcam very well versed of different machines.. I can tell you the node editing, if anyway need a lot simpler..
    if they can program two robotarm with 6-6 axis probably your router wont make any difficulties for them :-)

for express I see in the postprocessor library xxl file can be written..

No, it *could* still be the post. The arcs, in theory, should put out a better finish as there are less of them, less accel/deccel on the router, etc. However, since it's arc segments with various radius, and the problem seems to be that those arcs are not cutting as segments, but full arcs, then if the post is where that problem comes in, fixing the post is the problem.

However, the problem could be in a setting of precision somewhere in either Alphacam or your control too. I had this type of issue years ago, but not nearly this bad, never did find the problem then myself.

Good Luck

if outline not closed, or as you say broken that also can cuasing this..
    I was thinking on scm has propietrary control, and it might optimizing the gcode..

can you select in alphacam all outline and check if they are closed?

and the literal question here, why need import into alphacam outline of letters? known camprograms are capable to convert ttf and otf fonts to outlines..

still a question, why alphacam showing proper toolpath, when it writes different?

okay, dockey :-)

now, the first I like ot asking you, please correct somehow yourself, as I earlier mentioned you posted a ""good"" toolpath, and a bad cut

as pictures showing you posted accidentally different toolpath than was used to cut the sample you posted..

you might donrt see it trough, but you mislead others.. that's wghy they directed to the postprocessor.. by you
    it was not their fault they anwered you about postrprocessor..

what you showed that can be by postprocessor..

also I like to speak facts..

I made sample with express, since I own cut2d, vcarvepro photovcarve aspire and express
    im in the position to compare them..

for signwork, express in my opinion works better.. the nesting and modeling in my opinion not final in aspire..

in fact the ecut, a CorelDraw plugin works way better for signworks..
    that's why I purchased that..

http://eng.e-cut.ru/

with ecut you ccan make not only th enesting way better, but also for channel letters and folded boxes has functions..

the test I made I used the same letters, with way less nodes..
    if you using corel, then corel the tool to reducing nodes..

when you deleting nodes, corel keeps curve ""fit"" aspire and artcam collapse the curve within deleting nodes..

I post a picture I made the vectors and toolpath
    also heres the xxl and pgm file..

express can post xilog file too..

files are the preview in express
    the eps vectors you can open in CorelDraw
    the xxl
    and the pgm file

hope you can test it

and again, please correct you posted earlier, because folks answered the postprocessor, because they were in the faith you posting correctly..

Page 1 of 2 12