586,129 active members*
3,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Updating Firefox

G'day guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has figured out a way of updating Firefox.

I'm sick to death of constant prompts for installing missing plug-ins .... only to find you "can't install missing plug-ins.

Can't watch a lot of the stuff on YouTube .... the browser is too old and can't update the Flash player.

Anybody found a fix for these?

Michael

Re: Updating Firefox

Either go to "Help", "About" and then check for updates OR just go to Download Firefox — Free Web Browser — Mozilla and download and install the latest and greatest.

To setup the automatic update option, go to "Tools", "Options", "Advanced" tab and the top item relates to doing updates either automatically or whatever. Depending on things, you may have to also update your addins etc. As for flash update, check the "Control Panel" and double click on the Flash icon and again there is an update tab.

HTH
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Either go to "Help", "About" and then check for updates OR just go to Download Firefox — Free Web Browser — Mozilla and download and install the latest and greatest.

To setup the automatic update option, go to "Tools", "Options", "Advanced" tab and the top item relates to doing updates either automatically or whatever. Depending on things, you may have to also update your addins etc. As for flash update, check the "Control Panel" and double click on the Flash icon and again there is an update tab.

HTH
    The version of Firefox that comes with Path Pilot is 20.

In the advanced section, there is ONLY one option and that's for updating search engines.

I'd be interested to know what version you have?

I'm not sure what you mean by "control panel" ..... or are you referring to Mach 3

Michael

OOPS, sorry didn't realize you were running linuxcnc. The info I gave is for windows based machines. I don't have a linux based machine up and running right now so can't really dig into it.

If you can get to the internet, you should still be able to download a new installation. For the record, I am running V 37.0.2 on this machine.

Regards
    Art

OOPS, sorry didn't realize you were running linuxcnc. The info I gave is for windows based machines. I don't have a linux based machine up and running right now so can't really dig into it.

If you can get to the internet, you should still be able to download a new installation. For the record, I am running V 37.0.2 on this machine.

Regards
    <lol> That appeals to my bent sense of humour ... this is the Path Pilot forum, right? ... !

I'm very familiar with Windows and installing software, but Ubuntu and Path Pilot are a whole different animal.

I've been goofing around with Microsoft products from way back to the DOS days .... trust me when I say, this is very different.

You can't just download a version of Firefox and install it. I really wish is was that easy.

Michael

Regards
    I tried the update on Firefox from Ubuntu/Linux, it was a no go here as well.
    mike sr

Sorry, as usual, I didn't look to see what forum the post was in. I looked at the message header and it was about firefox.

Back to lurking.
    Art

I got fed up with trying to get Utube working on Firefox (Windows), in the end I went over to using Chrome, it has a few things that take a bit of getting used to and some are not as good as Firefox.
    But on the whole I have got used to it, and no problem viewing Utube.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I am coming to the conclusion that the machine controller needs to just be a machine controller.....

I liked the fellows solution to the internet, install a windows computer and monitor next to the controller and use that for surfing videos etc.

John (Tormach) walked me thru the setup of the wireless and file sharing, it did work, but is too complicated for me to use, I am back to the USB thumb drive for file transfer, I wish that it had a list option instead of the icons and I would be very happy with it.

I use a windows 7 laptop for my software and then transfer with a thumb drive, works super for me........ at my age things need to be simple and easy to understand ha!

I do think that sometime in the future Ubuntu based software will be much easier to navigate and will accept the latest software updates etc.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I am coming to the conclusion that the machine controller needs to just be a machine controller....
    I think that's what Tormach probably intended. While I've never used (or even seen) a Haas or Fanuc controller I can't imagine being able to watch YouTube videos on either of them.

I do think that sometime in the future Ubuntu based software will be much easier to navigate and will accept the latest software updates etc.
    Please don't confuse the PathPilot configuration with the operating system! Navigation under Linux/Ubuntu is easy! You can upgrade to the latest version of Firefox easily and a pdf reader is already available on the PathPilot distribution - you just have to know how to access them. While I have no intention of watching videos when my machine is running I might just need to read a pdf between jobs. This IS all possible (see below), its NOT a limitation of Ubuntu, but Tormach has reduced access to the minimum because they won't have a chance of supporting anyone who's turned their controller into a gaming machine.

The image below is just for demonstration purposes, it does not reflect how I'm planning to use my controller:
    Top left - pdf reader
    Top right - ubuntu file explorer
    Bottom left - Firefox V37.0.2 running aTormach YouTube video
    Background - PathPilot application

Attachment 279058

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    I think that's what Tormach probably intended. While I've never used (or even seen) a Haas or Fanuc controller I can't imagine being able to watch YouTube videos on either of them.

Please don't confuse the PathPilot configuration with the operating system! Navigation under Linux/Ubuntu is easy! You can upgrade to the latest version of Firefox easily and a pdf reader is already available on the PathPilot distribution - you just have to know how to access them. While I have no intention of watching videos when my machine is running I might just need to read a pdf between jobs. This IS all possible (see below), its NOT a limitation of Ubuntu, but Tormach has reduced access to the minimum because they won't have a chance of supporting anyone who's turned their controller into a gaming machine.

The image below is just for demonstration purposes, it does not reflect how I'm planning to use my controller:
    Top left - pdf reader

Attachment 279058
    Step,

I see that you have gotten it to do what can be done!

I dont need all that really, I just need the machine to operate without error, and be relatively easy to load files, at this point it has done pretty much that.

I have a couple laptops to surf with if the need arises.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I got fed up with trying to get Utube working on Firefox (Windows), in the end I went over to using Chrome, it has a few things that take a bit of getting used to and some are not as good as Firefox.
    But on the whole I have got used to it, and no problem viewing Utube.
    Al.

The problem isn't with Firefox and Windows .... Path Pilot runs on Ubuntu/ Linux

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post

Top left - pdf reader

Attachment 279058
    Maybe I should have explained myself a bit better.

I wouldn't be running any other applications, while I'm running the mill, but as a novice to CNC ..... I would like to find (and use) reference material
    from the Internet.

There's so much info available on the Tormach site, but as most of us know, It's in PDF.

Same holds true for YouTube ..... I can watch a video and "alt / tab" back and apply what I've learned.

Michael

I am coming to the conclusion that the machine controller needs to just be a machine controller.....
    This is my way of thinking as well. I used to work for a company that made high resolution scanners for aerial photographs. We configured and sold a PC as a controller for every scanner we shipped. If any other software was installed on the controller, it voided any type of warranty we offered. We did reconfigure a machine for the Navy though...someone installed video games on it :-)

When I bought my 770, I almost thought of using my old PC to run it. I decided to go with the dedicated controller from Tormach instead, and I never hooked it to the internet. I kept that old PC I planned on using instead, and it's my workbench PC that sits right next to my mill.