586,913 active members*
2,825 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ordered a new 12Z today!

Somehow this got posted in another forum? Anyway couldn't figure out how to move it so I copied it and will post here too and then delete the other one:

This mill will be replacing my Harbor Freight Taiwan round column mill/drill (the big one-don't know the number? RF31?) that has served me well for 12 years? I think it's been 12 years, maybe more. I'll be keeping the I-gauging DRO stuff and X axis power feed to adapt to the new mill. The main reason for the change is to convert this new mill over time to CNC. Since this is mostly hobby stuff I will be doing low end (steppers, ball screws etc.) and making my own mounts. For many years now a week does not go by that I am not building or repairing something on the mill or 12 X 36 old Grizzly lathe, but in the past two years I have purchased a 3D printer and a cheap Chinese 40W laser and have discovered CNC. My son put a (actually belongs to my brother but he burned out on it) Shapeoko together so that is in the mix also. Lots of fun.

I have purchased a generic arduino and I have been playing with that and hope to get rid of the Chinese controller in the K40 laser. Anyway now the wait begins and it's all very exciting! I have not seen where anyone has done metal CNC with an arduino but I am curious why it has not been done?

First order of business will be to extricate the old lap seam riveted steam boiler (4 foot diameter by maybe 8 feet long return flue) from the shop to create some room. It's missing all it's tubes and I think I am done with it so it's going outside and maybe be a big barbecue :-) Maybe this weekend.

Next is to weld up a stand. I have had the HF mill on a heavy 4x4 and plywood stand all this time and it was fine but I want something better.

So far extremely pleasant to deal with Charter Oaks Automation, Josy and Paul. I did not know but found out when I ordered they clean and flush the head and change the bearings (I guess on the spindle) and inspect the machines before shipping them. I am sure this is more than most of these companies do so that sounds very good.

Re: Ordered a new 12Z today!

Hello,
    The clean and flushing of the gear box and spindle is a necessity before any use or powering up. The chines don't have any viable QC and Too Many have found out cast iron fine was the root cause of bearing failure and many lost hours and dollars. If they do indeed do a power wash, say thank you ! and feel lucky.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Hello,
    The clean and flushing of the gear box and spindle is a necessity before any use or powering up. The chines don't have any viable QC and Too Many have found out cast iron fine was the root cause of bearing failure and many lost hours and dollars. If they do indeed do a power wash, say thank you ! and feel lucky.
    Thanks. I talked to Paul and he said I could do it if I wanted but at least in mine they dismantled the head and changed the spindle bearing to a better one so it was cleaned at the time. I got the impression they are doing this to all machines now but anyone should check to make sure. I am supposed to change the gearbox oil after a few hours and I will strain that for sure. So far the is one fine machine! I got my nema 43 1600 oz, driver and 60v supply working good on the arduino so next is to figure out the coupler for the X or which belt setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Hello,
    I just re read what you wrote. I was thinking spindle and you were writing gearbox. Now I'm a little worried. Maybe I should drain and check the gearbox? It has run several hours so far with no problems but maybe I better drain , check and change. Any idea which oil is best?

I was referi9ng to BOTH !
    I speak from my case and that of many others from yrs ago. The cast iron fine if any remains in gear box will not come out with a simple drain or even a flush. It would require the gear shafts and bearings removed and then power wash of all insides as the iron fine was stuck to inside of pockets and under bearings by residue of the paint and coolant residue. My gear box was so bad I was forced to go to belt drive. I posted many pic and particulars along with other people who suffered the same experience. Many very good belt designs came of this in the process.
    I would suggest doing this to your machine. Have a clean bucket to save oil, after a time to settle it is good to use. In my gut I knew I should have done this from the get go but didn't listen and paid for it !
    I would recommend doing this in order to save the gear box, as the gear change ability is good to have. then if you can over run the motor drive for a bit more top speed, it will come in handy for aluminium. You can't beat the gear change for large cutters in steel.

Any place iron fine can rest it is going to be till it has been removed. Any bearing which takes a taste of this iron fine will suffer. Gears won't mind too much at first but soon begin to belly ache and complain with a persistent complaining !
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner