587,011 active members*
3,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori Seiki MV-Jr stalled

I finally got this machine up and running on all 4 axis. I've run numerous programs with small tooling in aluminum and mild steel. I started a new part that's made of annealed 316L and it basically has a few .75 slots 1.375 through the part. Long story short while drilling the first hole through the part the head stalled. I was standing there with my finger on the stop button so I stopped the machine and raised the z axis. As soon as the z axis moved the spindle took back off. It never alarmed so I'm thinking the belt is slipping. From what I've gathered this is a direct belt driven system with no gear change system. My question is: Is there a procedure to tighten the belt or replace it. Or does this machine have no balls. Most of the machines I've run and programmed over the years have been 7 hp and I've never had a problem drilling a .437" hole 1.375" deep at 480 RPMs and 1.7 ipm.

Any help is appreciated

Re: Mori Seiki MV-Jr stalled

You didn't stall the motor, you would have had multiple alarms. The belts simply spun, and unfortunately on those old machines, the spindle encoder is in the motor, so the machine had no idea. Belt change isn't that bad, but i think you need to pull the unclamp assembly and move it aside. I recommend not disconnecting the lines for it otherwise you will be there a few more hours trying to bleed the system.

Is this a standard belt that I can get anywhere or a special order mori part. If it's standard what's the size. Is there a way to tighten the belt on these machines.

Thanks for the help

It standard, but i wouldn't know the size. Loosen motor bolts, and use the jack screws to tighten belt, tighten motor bolts.

Thank you sir, I was hoping it would be that easy. How tight should it be.. I would think to tight would be hard on bearings

Pulled the front cover and you guys were correct the belt was very loose. I'm guessing it was bumped hard enough in shipping that it shifted. I tightened it till the belt was "snug". Fired the program back off and it eat through the 316 like butter. I appreciate the help from all